Less grainy pils malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstnate

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pilsner malt thats less grainy, any suggestions?

Regular 2 row pale malt? :p

Really though, I'm pretty sure pilsner malt is supposed to taste grainy by definition, so I think you have to use a different type of malt if you're trying to get away from that flavor. It's like asking for a Munich malt that's less melanoidin-y.

Regular 2 row pale malt? :p

Really though, I'm pretty sure pilsner malt is supposed to taste grainy by definition, so I think you have to use a different type of malt if you're trying to get away from that flavor. It's like asking for a Munich malt that's less melanoidin-y.

So your telling me that American and European malts taste the same because they have the same name? Really, come on! Was just looking for a variety/maltster that was more pilsner sweet and less grainy.

I don't think he was saying that.

What is it about Pilsner malt that you like? Best Malz and Castle offer premium Pils malts.

Pilsner malt in general is rather grainy. If you want to add sweetness to a pilsner grist then cut it with Flaked Corn like BMC does.

With most malts, the British versions are typically a bit richer, fuller, and more flavorful than their American equals. However, this can be a bad thing sometimes if you want the bright hops to completely shine and limit a lot of the malt character from detracting your palate. Furthermore, using a ton of pils malt in something like an IPA or Amber ale can come off as a bit too weak, light, grainy, and sweet.

Wow no need to be rude, calm down.

Grainy is something that most people associate with pilsner malt. We both suggested that you try pale malt, which is significantly less grainy than pilsner malt. American vs. European has nothing to do with it. You can get Rahr pilsner malt, and you can get Belgian pale ale malt.

Ok at the risk of sounding "rude", I like pils malt and some of the "grainy" character. I was just looking for a variety that had a little less less of that character. I know there's other ways to get there. So l'm looking for someone with a lot of experience with different pils malts. Please

I regularly use these pilsner malts and have listed them in order of sweetness, with the top being the sweetest

Franco-Belges - also has some nutty notes - I use this for Bo pils, anything Belgian, Kolsch and other Ales
Canada malting premium pilsner - I use this for Ofests, bock, and Amer. Adjunct lagers
Best malz - I use this for GER. Pilsners

I find these to be noticeably sweeter than Rahr and Briess - (not that they would really be considered sweet, just sweeter than these two)

I regularly use these pilsner malts and have listed them in order of sweetness, with the top being the sweetest

Franco-Belges - also has some nutty notes - I use this for Bo pils, anything Belgian, Kolsch and other Ales
Canada malting premium pilsner - I use this for Ofests, bock, and Amer. Adjunct lagers
Best malz - I use this for GER. Pilsners

I find these to be noticeably sweeter than Rahr and Briess - (not that they would really be considered sweet, just sweeter than these two)

Thanks for the helpfull response. With the franco do you get a pretty pronounced grainy note on yhe finish?

I think of all the pilsner malts I've tried, Great Western is about the most subtle. I like Best malz the best.

If you want the grainy character, but just not as much, you could do a pilsner and American 2-row split. Or even throw in some Vienna to round out the flavor.

If you want the grainy character, but just not as much, you could do a pilsner and American 2-row split. Or even throw in some Vienna to round out the flavor.

That was going to be my plan b if i dont find a pils character i like.

Back