Brew scheduel ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
my first IPA
6.6 LME
8 oz pilsner
8 oz cara
3oz Citra
1oz simcoe
American ale yeast
Irish moss

What's a good brew schedule?

I like to brew once or twice a week when the weather is crummy and I can't work outside. That way I can stockpile beer to keep me drinking through the busy time.

I brew in 2 week intervals. That way I get 50+ bottles of beer every 2nd week and I can reuse all of my bottles. And that way I always have something new on tap. Just my preference. I wouldn't mind going 3X per month, but I'm just not there yet.

1/2 oz simcoe 15 mins
1 oz citra/ 1/2 oz simcoe 10 mins
1/2 oz. citra 5 mins
1/2 oz citra- flame out
1 oz citra dry hop.

If that's all I had, I would do that. Can you get more? I only used those for the late hop additions and no bitter hops. You can get something to throw in at 60 to bitter the whole thing to be in range for the style.

I agree with sweed. Get yourself another high alpha acid hop like chinook or magnum for the 60 minute bittering addition and save the citra and simcoe late additions for flavor and aroma.

I mean for hop additions not when to actually brew

I suspected that but you were not exactly clear in your initial post. :p

Just how bitter do you want the IPA to be? The BJCP guidelines specify an American IPA to be between 40 and 70 IBU's. Some people stretch that on the high end too. An ounce of Citra with alpha acid of 11 would get you ~40 IBU, the low end of an IPA. Add in the 15 minute addition of Simcoe and you should be well within the guidelines and the rest of your Citra could go at flameout and dry hopping.

20 ounces of hops? thats pretty brave, assuming its a 5gal batch since your only using 6.6 gallons of lme.

id go with 1oz of magnum (or any other 14%+ AA hop) @ 60

then 1-2 oz @ 15 , 10 , 5 , 0

then 2-4 oz dry hopped in the secondary

It all depends on how much bitterness and hop flavor / aroma you want as well as what kinds of flavor / aroma you want. different hops will add different characteristics, so it's up to you to decide what you want to shine through.

do some research on the forums here, I know i as well as some other members have pretty comprehensive posts on hop utilization. then use some brewing software like brewsmith or brewtoad.com and play around with the addition until it looks like something you want.

I already did the brew before I got back to this thread I used Citra 60, 10 & flame out and Simco for dry hop. Can you recommend any other hop to add for dry hop

Back