American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brew day went well, except I hadn't brewed for a little while and I forgot about the crazy boiloff my setup has. I stopped sparging once runnings got down to 1.020 (and I had 30L of 1.055 wort). I guess that was my first mistake (I normally stop when runnings get down to 1.010).

Anyway after the 90 minute boil I ended up with 17L of 1.081 wort in the fermenter :) Oopsie. It tastes damn hoppy and pretty darn bitter.

The Armirillo is coming through really strongly at the moment, which is interesting - I wouldn't have expected it to.

It's started bubbling away, so that's a good sign :)

An update: My last gravity reading (taken a few days ago) was 1.020. I think it's going to stop there, maybe a point or two lower. I had a bigish OG (1.081) and my brews rarely go below 1.020 (dunno why).

It tasted kinda weird at first, had an almost artificial-sweetener aftertaste to it which was not pleasant at all. Possibly caused by my fermentation temperature being too high (fermenter at 24c - 75f). However that's since faded (I think mostly after dry hopping the crap out of it and giving the yeast some time to clean up) and it's tasting really good now.

Can't wait to bottle this and try it when it's done!

Yep - 1.020 was where it finished - took another "gravity reading" (ahem, taste tester :D) this evening. Tastes amazing, if a *little* boozy (at 8.1%).

Well, this is what it looks like after 2.5 weeks bottle conditioning:
freshly-squeezed-ipa-59637.jpg

Tastes pretty amazing, *loads* of citrus aroma.

Thanks for the recipe =)

Ended up coming out really sweet. Although I think I may have milled a extra 6-7oz of munich by mistake. Aroma is good, heavy citrus. Dry hopping not enough for me. I think some of the dry hops were affected from being in primary. I dry hopped another ipa right after this one the same way and I think I'm gonna go back to dry hopping in secondary after these experiments.

I'm loving this beer. I brewed it about a month ago and I'm planning to brew it again in a week. Thanks!

IMG_1768.jpg

Another week of bottle conditioning and I will finally get to try this. I will definitely post an update. Can't wait!

Just finished carbing. This stuff is amazing. Super hoppy, but the citrusy taste overpowers the bitterness resulting in a beautifully balanced ipa.

This looks like a great recipe! I've been looking for and IPA with a citrusy finish. I plugged the recipe into iBrewMaster and it comes up with an OG of 1.082 and FG 1.020. Do those numbers sound right and if so with an OG of 1.082 did you use just one package of US-05 (rehydrated)? Thanks!

If you follow the recipe and trust your system/ iBrewmaster(which I love) and you believe 1.082 sounds legit. Then I would rehydrate 2 packs. I would switch over to two packs in the 1.060-1.065 range or above. If you want a more accurate number try Mr.Malty. If you pitch 2 packs of 05 you might as well make a starter for 1056 or northwest ale yeast(if you have any extra dme)

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and rehydrate two packs of 05. Looking forward to brewing (and drinking!) this. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Brewed this yesterday! Now just waiting for yeast to begin. My og was at 1.077 and I rehydrated one packet of 05. I may have pitched a bit to hot though 77ish. Hope I didn't strain the yeast too much. At what point do I pitch another packet?

Just added hops to a variant of this brew yesterday. Soaked the oak cubes in a cheap chardonnay prior to addition. Not sure if that will add anything. OG 1.071 and was 1.018 on day 7.

No need for attorneys and legal costs, just call in a bomb threat :) Kind of underhanded on their part if you ask me.

I also made this a few weeks ago. Bottled it with my girlfriend last weekend. Started at 1.075, FG of 1.014. I went with a starter of Wyeast 1056 for it. It smelled fantastic and I'm really hoping to be wowed by it once priming is done. Considering it has only been in bottles for a week and a half and came out at 8.1%, it's still pretty much dead flat right now.

No worries, though. The Green Flash West Coast IPA clone her and I brewed a few weeks prior is just about perfect right now. That'll tide me over.

Just bottled today. Tasted great. A lot of grapefruit came through. Drank a whole glass warm and uncarbonated.

Brewed this about a month ago, came out really nice and great hop taste! I backed off on the crystal 40 though, seemed a bit more than I have a taste for (used 1lb instead of 1.3). Thanks for the recipe!

Looks great! How did you dry hop? Just drop them in the carboy or do you have a way of suspending them in the beer?

Brewing this next weekend... but I'm especially excited to use my homegrown hops for it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm hoping some of you more expert brewers can help this 1st timer. I tried to stick as close to recipe as possible but ran into a few snags and am curious how this will impact the final product.

Mashed in 5.3 gals on 17.6 #s of grain @ 169*. Grain was 65* and cooler w/ false bottom @ 60*. It seemed very soupy? After 10 mins temp was 147*. Over the course of an hour I added varying amounts of increasingly hot water (about 1.5 qts all said and done) and got maybe a 1* raise. Fearing too much dilution I took off 1.5 gals from mash tun and heated it to 189.5*. I poured this back in and stirred and got to 154* in the mash tun. I let it sit for an hour (temp held steady) then drained. Like an noob I forgot to do an iodine test.

I then batch sparged using apprx 6 gals @ 175*. This took mash tun to 159*. I stirred and let sit for 10 mins then drained.

Collected apprx 8 gals in BK.

**Other changes to the recipe:
- Added the 90 min addition at flame-on. (FWH, right?)
- Added 1.25 oz Simcoe at 0 mins instead of 0.75 it called for.
- Added ~0.8 oz. Medium Toast Hungarian Oak Shavings (per LHBS)
- my gravity reading was at 1.060 instead of the 1.076 beersmith2 predicted

Collected ~ 6 gals in a 6.5 gal bucket. Re-hydrated 1 packet of US-05. Didn't see much action in the jar. Pitched anyways. 24 hours later little to no action in bucket. See picture. I went ahead and bought another US-05 from a diff LHBS and pitched it tonight. It looked better in jar but still not amazing. Trying to ferment w/ blow-off tube in a chest freezer @ apprx 66*.

My main concerns are:
- what the hell will all this do to the flavor? I've had some bad luck with extract brews in the past.
- the taste concerns me a little. Smell is good. The sweetness is nice and I know that will ferment well. But the end/aftertaste is super bitter. like.. mouth puckering. I'm a hop-head and all but dayum. Any thoughts on how this will end up in 3 weeks after being dry hopped and kegged?

*I'm so thankful to anyone who can offer insight into this. I know I'm just a nervous nancy but I've had bad luck in the past and I'm worried I flubbed up again. What should I have done different (other than pre-heating mash tun)?

-1.jpg

I honestly bet its fine. Two yeast packets fine with that OG. You will get your system down in future so you can mash at the temp you prefer. Tough to gauge when conversion happened, but possibly at a higher temp than you wanted. In which case it may not get to the FG that you wanted. Then again, only 10 minutes high and then at 148? So might be fine. And even a slightly high FG won't be worst thing in the world, may work with the bitterness you tasted.

Then again, only 10 minutes high and then at 148?

I ended up mashing for 1 hr at 148 and then 1 hr at 154. And like like the newb that I am didn't do an iodine tincture test or take a gravity reading. I mashed at the higher temp because I assumed only mashing at 148 would give me a dryer less sweet beer which is not what I wanted. Does that make sense?

Yes, but after the conversion happens at 148 for the hour, not much else is happening at the hour 154 mash. Maybe a bit more conversion. That said, I really don't think there is any harm done. Lots of folks mash IPAs at 148 to make them drier and less sweet.

Hm. Anything I could add to it at this point to sweeten it? Like 0.25 or 0.5 lbs DME boiled and cooled? Or is that just crazy talk haha

Thinking of using this recipe as a first ever attempt at brewing IPA, but have a question or two first. In the original recipe are you using pellets or whole hops? When dry hopping is there any sort of sanitizing of the hops before throwing them in? can you dry hop with pellets or must it be whole hops? These are probably some rookie questions, but haven't ever tried brewing an IPA before, and haven't ever dry hopped a brew! Thanks in advance.

WOO! Thanks to u/Libeerty for calming my jets counseling me thru my time of weakness.

After 10 days I hit a FG of 1009 so I came in a little low. The beer tastes uhmaaazing. I drank all of my gravity sample. quickly. I am currently cold crashing to ~ 33-34* for a day and then I'll dry hop by tossing in some pellets and slow-warming the beer. I'm thinking I'll let it go for a week and then keg.

Question:: now that the yeast are done is there still a danger in the beer getting to 70+ degrees? Tho it's currently 33*+ outside it's supposed to get into the 70s this weekend and heck, I could even bring the bucket into my house if necessary to warm it up in a closet.

Thanks for any thoughts. VERY excited about finally making a decent beer. :mug:

545995_10100683078332781_310996664_n.jpg

This was my first brew day in a while because of a move. So, my process was a bit rusty. And I subbed Mosaic for Amarillo because that's what I had available.
This was also one of the first beers into my new keezer (after 2.5 years of bottling). It's only been on gas for a couple of days but, simply, this is a winner. It's not going to last long.
Will brew this again. Great recipe.

just brewed this for the second time on saturday. made a few changes though just to see how it'd turn out. (brewing the recipe straight up was already great!)
i did 7.5# 2 row and 7.5# pilsner. kept the carapils and for the crystal malt i did 20l instead of 40. upped the munich to 1#
i used the same hop schedule and additons, but increased everything from 30-50% (later additons got bigger and bigger. dry hop is gonna be humongous)
i bought a bag med toasted oak cubes and its 2.5oz. whole thing is goin in

Just brewed this 2 days ago and the safale 05 is starting but pretty slow. It at about 30 hours now and only slow bubbling. Maybe I under pitched, Anyway, I am not planning on using oak, since I oaked a wheat bear last, but I did take this and add a teaspoon or so of dried, sweet orange peel and zested about 1/2 of a small tangerine. I'll let you know how it does. Nailed the OG at 1.070 though. Cheers, thanks for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back