Advice please- Atlanta beer scene?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edb7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I will spending July 1st through 6th in Atlanta, GA (100 CNN Center
Atlanta, Georgia). If you know the area, please advise me on what the "must visits" are, beer-related and just worthwhile sites to see.

As for sampling, I am a hop head but appreciate a broad variety of beers. Experiencing great beer is my priority over cost or other factors.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Red Brick is another brewer you can check out. If you have some time, you can drive two hours up to Terrapin in Athens, GA and visit with Spike, too. Atlanta has some great spots for eating and drinking. My favorite bohemian area is around five points. Grab a burger and a brew at someplace like the laughing skull and go check out the junkman's daughter for a laugh. There's lots of little shops, restaurants and bars in the area so just investigate it for yourself.

Two restaurants that are a must are Fat Matts (hole in the wall but best BBQ) on the north side of Atlanta and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (off Pico or Peachtree). Roscoe's invented the chicken and waffles trend of the south.

The premiere concert venues are the Fox Theater and The Tabernacle. Both are awesome in their own way and both are located downtown. See if anyone is playing in concert you want to see when you're there.

Also, it's a sin against humanity if you don't check out the Atlanta Aquarium at least once in your lifetime. It makes a great place to sober up.

For beer, taco Mac is a chain and its hard to drive far without hitting one. It's bar food, mostly not great, But they are known for their buffalo wings, they are very very good. The main reason to go there, however, because the average store has about 90 beers on tap and close to 200 in the bottle. They have a club called Brewniversity, Where you get credit for every unique beer you drink. If you're going to be in Atlanta long it's a great way to force yourself to sample a different beer every time you visit there. I've been doing the club since July 2007 and I have about 260 beers on my list right now. Also since someone mentioned five points, the Porter is a phenomenal beer bar/restaurant. In Alpharetta and another in Sandy Springs I believe, is a restaurant/brewery called five seasons which is excellent as well. They have a very extensive and unique menu many times focusing on local fresh ingredients. But they also go off the map a little and do things like an antelope patty melt, or frog legs. They make their own beer and have several on tap and I've never had a bad one. There are other new breweries in town like Monday night, jailhouse which is south of the city, and red hare.

Something else to mention about taco Mac, there is a Speakeasy sort of bar below the taco Mac on Roswell Road in the Prado shopping center. Officially it doesn't have a name, at least that it advertises, but it is known as the Fred. Fred is their main beer guy for the stores, and at the Fred you can find a selection of some really unique beer that you won't find anywhere else. You are supposed to have to show your tokamak membership card to get into the Fred, but I've heard that they have loosened up on that as of late. Although, it's not easy to find. When you're out the taco Mac at the Prado, you have to walk around the side and go around the back below to find an unmarked door good luck. The hidden aspect makes it kind of fun and cool, they open after 5 o'clock.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a fellow beer lover. It sounds like Atlanta does have a beer scene and I look forward to sampling.

Thanks for the extra info on travel stops!

Two restaurants that are a must are Fat Matts (hole in the wall but best BBQ) on the north side of Atlanta and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (off Pico or Peachtree). Roscoe's invented the chicken and waffles trend of the south.

The premiere concert venues are the Fox Theater and The Tabernacle. Both are awesome in their own way and both are located downtown. See if anyone is playing in concert you want to see when you're there.

Also, it's a sin against humanity if you don't check out the Atlanta Aquarium at least once in your lifetime. It makes a great place to sober up.

It sounds like you really know the area and I appreciate the feedback. Fred's has me a bit nervous... Why do I envision being mugged in a back alley? Ha! Taco Mac sounds like an easy way to experience many brews and Five Points sounds like a must. We'll see about good ol' Fred.

For beer, taco Mac is a chain and its hard to drive far without hitting one. It's bar food, mostly not great, But they are known for their buffalo wings, they are very very good. The main reason to go there, however, because the average store has about 90 beers on tap and close to 200 in the bottle. They have a club called Brewniversity, Where you get credit for every unique beer you drink. If you're going to be in Atlanta long it's a great way to force yourself to sample a different beer every time you visit there. I've been doing the club since July 2007 and I have about 260 beers on my list right now. Also since someone mentioned five points, the Porter is a phenomenal beer bar/restaurant. In Alpharetta and another in Sandy Springs I believe, is a restaurant/brewery called five seasons which is excellent as well. They have a very extensive and unique menu many times focusing on local fresh ingredients. But they also go off the map a little and do things like an antelope patty melt, or frog legs. They make their own beer and have several on tap and I've never had a bad one. There are other new breweries in town like Monday night, jailhouse which is south of the city, and red hare.

Something else to mention about taco Mac, there is a Speakeasy sort of bar below the taco Mac on Roswell Road in the Prado shopping center. Officially it doesn't have a name, at least that it advertises, but it is known as the Fred. Fred is their main beer guy for the stores, and at the Fred you can find a selection of some really unique beer that you won't find anywhere else. You are supposed to have to show your tokamak membership card to get into the Fred, but I've heard that they have loosened up on that as of late. Although, it's not easy to find. When you're out the taco Mac at the Prado, you have to walk around the side and go around the back below to find an unmarked door good luck. The hidden aspect makes it kind of fun and cool, they open after 5 o'clock.

Don't get your hopes up, the Atlanta beer scene is pretty weak. All the local breweries are mediocre at best. As stated above, the Taco Mac chain has the best selection of bottles. The menu of beers on draft looks good too, but they are often out of the one you want. The only eatery worth a trip is Fox Brothers BBQ which often has Stone products on tap. Good luck.

The good news is that Taco Mac is attached to my hotel! Beer IS proof that God loves us! I will look up that BBQ joint to see if it is a reasonable walk. Thanks for the input.

Don't get your hopes up, the Atlanta beer scene is pretty weak. All the local breweries are mediocre at best. As stated above, the Taco Mac chain has the best selection of bottles. The menu of beers on draft looks good too, but they are often out of the one you want. The only eatery worth a trip is Fox Brothers BBQ which often has Stone products on tap. Good luck.

Hop City is a great store. They claim over 2000 beers I think. I know they have the best selection I have found as well as a lot of growler fills with a lot of locals. They are also a small homebrew shop.
Hit sweetwater, and if you have time Jailhouse Brewing below Atl and terrapin brewing.

Jailhouse is about an hour south and terrapin is in Athens, depending in how much driving time you have. In addition to Sweetwater, you have Red Hare in Marietta, Monday Night Brewing (great tasting room-highly recommended) and its right down the road from Hop City, which is adjacent to 5 Seasons west side location.

Also consider Red Brick Brewing. Decatur is another part of town with a lot close by(Brickstore, a taco Mac location, BlueTarp, Three Taverns, Twains.

"You ain't from 'round here are you son?"

While we don't have all of the fancy breweries of the West Coast, you'll find that the hospitality in most places will make up for it. You can get almost any beer you desire here...Taco Mac will supply most of them...but yes...it's a chain. A great watering hole though. Just pull up a stool any place around Atlanta and you'll find warm people and friendly conversation.

Someone suggested Fat Matts...definitely a stop for good ribs and baked beans. They have live blues also. I live about a mile from there. Blind Willies is also a great place to go for Blues and stroll through Va Highlands for bars and food. We also have Hand and Hand for English fare and beer. George's for excellent burgers and PBR Specials.

Some other mentions are The Eulid Ave Yacht Club & Brewhouse Cafe (in little 5)...Smith's Olde Bar (Ansley), 5 Season Brewing in Sandy Springs. You could even try Mary Mac's Tea Room (Down Ponce from the Fox Theater) or the Colonnade (Cheshire Bridge) if you want to try some "southern" food. ;)

Definitely hit the Sweetwater tour if you can. They make damn fine beer in my opinion.

Pickled_Pepper said:
I tried their Misdemeanor Ale recently at The Family Dog in Va Highlands and I gotta say, it was very good. I'm a Fat Tire fan and this one is right up there.

For a basic wheat, I've always been partial to their Slammer Wheat. Still need to take a road trip to the brewery and visit Barley N Vine while I'm down there.

Just found Barley & Vine website...thanks for turning me on to that! I'll have to check them out some day.

(Sorry didn't mean to side track the thread)

Our Family did spring break there last year. If you are doing museum/aquarium stuff google "Atlanta cit pass" it will save you oodles of dough. I didn't get to go to breweries, but spent a fair amount of time at Taco Mac. You can definitely get a good sampling of beer there. Here's a pic of my kids at the aquarium. As stated, do not pass this up. It is super busy, but set up nicely for the crowd.

image-2675870485.jpg

My wife and I really enjoy Publik (on the corner next to the Fox Theater) when we go to Atlanta for concerts. The beer selection isn't huge, but what they have is quite good and we've always been happy with the food for late night dining. The vibe has been very relaxed every time we've been there and not at all *****ey like some of the places you can find in Midtown & Buckhead.

I am blown away by all of the helpful advice. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I will be there from June 30 through July 7: I will post an evening beer invite if any of you care to join! I am guessing these places close early on Sunday, so I am thinking an outing on July 1st and maybe one more at the following weekend.

Edb,

Leaving town on the fourth, but PM me between now and then and I'll meet you out for a beer during the first part of your trip.

I love it. I used to spend hot summers at my Grandpa's house in Alabama and know first hand that the south really is a different universe.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly grab some BBQ! You should come out for a beer if this plan pans out. I am going to start mapping out what is within walking distance for me and will send an invitation for anyone who is interested in grabbing a beer.

I am addicted to hops, by the way. Any local super bitter IPA's that you know of?

I love it. I used to spend hot summers at my Grandpa's house in Alabama and know first hand that the south really is a different universe.

I am addicted to hops, by the way. Any local super bitter IPA's that you know of?

I'm a big advocate of "staying in place" when drinking ;) but if you guys are around my area of town...then I'd love to stop by for a beer. I don't want to alter your plans, so just post here when you guys decide and I'll see if I can stop by.

I was born in Mobile and grew up around Atlanta...you never do get completely used to the heat, but you eventually just learn to live with it. haha...you'll get a big dose of it when you are here ;)

Sweetwater Makes an IPA and a RyePA. Both are tasty, but not huge on hops. I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner IPA is a pretty good beer. Probably in the neighborhood of 70-75 IBUs. Pretty sure you can only get those here, so give that one a try. Taco Mac should have it and maybe even on tap in some locations.

The problem isn't that I'm not from around here, it's that you don't get away from here much.

The Atlanta "beer scene" is well below that of other cities at or near the same size. There is a fair selection of pubs with large bottle beer selection, and a few places with okay draft selection, but most of them have weak food. There is an increasing number of good restaurants that have a good but small beer selection. The local breweries are below-average at best (5 Seasons was good in 2009-10 but has declined). And if he's stuck on foot downtown then the selection is even worse. The best bet for beer sampling is Taco Mac (the menu is huge but be prepared to hear "sorry we're out of that one"). Publik has better food but is a long walk. A taxi ride to Hop City might be a good investment to shop for bottles (maybe they ship).

Of course the people are nice here - people are nice everywhere.

Good luck.

The problem isn't that I'm not from around here, it's that you don't get away from here much.

I've been 'away' plenty and always seem to find my way back to Atlanta. It's my home and instead of telling someone "it sucks here, don't bother" I try and look on the sunny side of life. As I said, we don't have the fancy brew pubs like the northwest US, london or munich, (yes, I've been to all of these places) but it's worth helping him find a few places around town to enjoy the trip.

We have a pretty good transit system (of course there will be a discussion about how it isn't as good as Paris or NYC) and you can get most places on a train or a bus.

jsberry said:

The Atlanta "beer scene" is well below that of other cities at or near the same size.

If that's how you feel, then you are welcome to leave this thread. Good luck to you.

I just got back from Hop City- a very helpful staff and a respectable selection of beers. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hop City is a great store. They claim over 2000 beers I think. I know they have the best selection I have found as well as a lot of growler fills with a lot of locals. They are also a small homebrew shop.
Hit sweetwater, and if you have time Jailhouse Brewing below Atl and terrapin brewing.

And I'm staying at the Omni (CNN Tower). Let me know if you guys wanted to have a brew this week. The hotel bar gave me an introduction to a few Atlanta brews. I'd have to say the Red Brick and Terrapin IPA's were the best of what I sampled. Sweetwater's heffe was decent too. I may check out Taco Macs tonight. Take care and thanks again for the scouting report.

I'm a big advocate of "staying in place" when drinking ;) but if you guys are around my area of town...then I'd love to stop by for a beer. I don't want to alter your plans, so just post here when you guys decide and I'll see if I can stop by.

I was born in Mobile and grew up around Atlanta...you never do get completely used to the heat, but you eventually just learn to live with it. haha...you'll get a big dose of it when you are here ;)

Sweetwater Makes an IPA and a RyePA. Both are tasty, but not huge on hops. I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner IPA is a pretty good beer. Probably in the neighborhood of 70-75 IBUs. Pretty sure you can only get those here, so give that one a try. Taco Mac should have it and maybe even on tap in some locations.

Edb,

Leaving town on the fourth, but PM me between now and then and I'll meet you out for a beer during the first part of your trip.

It turns out that Atlanta DOES have a beer scene. Thanks to Sfrisby for being kind enough to show me the ropes. Some highlights of my trip have been:

- Hop City, which is a liquor store with a friendly and knowledgable staff. It is located about 2 miles from the CNN Center.

- The Porter. Thanks to those who suggested it. Although not close enough to walk to from the CNN Center, they have an outrageous menu. I saw beers from west coast to midwest, from Africa to Iceland. The menu has about 50 brews on tap and a couple hundred bottles. They also have a large vintage list of beers you would be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.

The Wreckingbar- holy ****! This place rocks. Very cool atmosphere, good eats, and a menu of their own beers. I am guessing the menu was near 20 beers. They have good sampler options for a fair price.

All of this said, the highlight of Atlanta is Sfrisby, who was a gracious host who showed me the highlights of the area. Thanks and cheers to you. Let me know how the latest imperial turns out and happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back