1st time to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
will be kegging my first time in 2 weeks. can some one walk me thru the steps
also a question if i brew another beer can i store it in the keg and if so do i carbonate it with dme and let it sit ,refrigerate or force carb at the time of kegging and then store it in the fridge
thanks steve

1. Clean the keg with PBW or oxiclean. If it's the first time you are using the keg, I would strongly recommend disassembling to clean to make sure it is 100% clean then reassemble (don't get the gas in and bev out nipples confused. They look almost the same but are different).

2. Fill partially with sanitizer then give it a shake. Give it a small charge of co2 and bleed some sanitizer out of both pop it valves by taking something pointed and depressing the little dot. You will need to turn the keg upside down to bleed out the gas in line.

3. Empty the sanitizer from the keg.

4. Rack in your beer.

5. Replace the lid on the keg then pressurize to 30psi with co2. Discharge the keg then charge back up to 30 psi a few times to purge out oxygen in the headspace. Charge back up to 30 psi before storage. This will seal the lid nice and tight.

Whether you force carb or naturally carb is up to you. I always force carb because I'm lazy.

thanks for the info. one more question if you can help. when i am done force carbing the keg can i disconnect and store the keg in the fridge?
Thanks again steve

Latest posts

Back