What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sea Dog Blueberry - Yuk. I expected overtones of Blueberry but it tastes like what a Blueberry jolly rancher would taste like.

DFH 120 Min - I know, this is sacrilegious, but I just didn't like it. At all. At $10 for 12 ounces, I like it even less.

This.

Bud%20Light%20Chelada.jpg

I knew it was going to be bad going in. I mean, I like beer and I kinda like Clamato, but holy **** this stuff was positively harrowing.

Haha, the best part is the can.... "Certified Color". WTF?? AB have lost their mind.

I like those Cheladas honestly. It's a nice, tangy, sparkly drink. The Bud Light version is best since BL is so tasteless. Way better than any other pre-made mix or what not out there. I'm a big bloody mary fan, but sometimes they can be a bit too thick on a really hot day. Those Cheladas solve that. It's a lot harder to make a good, balanced Chelada than to just buy this version. The cup versions where you just add your favorite beer are pretty atrocious; heart-burn city.

This was my favorite brew for the longest. We'd hit Eureka one or twice a year to see grandma, and always stop for a fresh pint of it (or Great White) on the way in. Haven't had a bad batch yet.

Well yourself and many others seem to not be finding my experience universal. I'll have to try it again if a different store stocks it.

Just had another one tonight, goose island something. It was astringent and had way to much artificial flavoring of some mystery fruit. I quickly gulped it down and asked for some makers mark on ice

Just had another one tonight, goose island something. It was astringent and had way to much artificial flavoring of some mystery fruit. I quickly gulped it down and asked for some makers mark on ice

Chased some ****ty Goose Island with Makers Mark? Always a good choice.

I like those Cheladas honestly. It's a nice, tangy, sparkly drink. The Bud Light version is best since BL is so tasteless. Way better than any other pre-made mix or what not out there. I'm a big bloody mary fan, but sometimes they can be a bit too thick on a really hot day. Those Cheladas solve that. It's a lot harder to make a good, balanced Chelada than to just buy this version. The cup versions where you just add your favorite beer are pretty atrocious; heart-burn city.

But... but we are homebrewers, we can make anything with some effort. Never had one of these though. Not my thing, doesn't look to appealing. Reminds me of the cans of V8 tomato juice and that makes me gag haha.

Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour Dark Belgian ale stout ......Bad King John Black English Ale.......... Alquimia Brown Ale.............Midas Touch.........

FEFG1991 said:
Midas Touch.........

Finally, someone who agrees with me!
I thought I was alone in thinking that one majorly sucked.

Bought a 6er of Sam Adams Summer Ale last night. That beer seems to have so much artifical fruit flavor. It just has a weird fake kinda taste. I dont remember it being that way on draft in the past years Ive had it.

We had some summer ale fresh from the brewery when we went to Boston a few years back, totally different taste!

Tried some Funk Galaxy from Prairie last night, OH my GAG! I'm tempted to buy another bottle as I honestly think the one I got was infected. A little background here, I love funk, love sasions, love the abbey ales, this though had a sweet start, lots of funk in the nose and up-front flavor, it rapidly descended to burnt coffee and battery? Really really bad.

But... but we are homebrewers, we can make anything with some effort. Never had one of these though. Not my thing, doesn't look to appealing. Reminds me of the cans of V8 tomato juice and that makes me gag haha.

I hear ya. It is difficult to get the right ratio of spiced up tomato juice and beer. I've tried it quite a bit using different mixes including Clamato and it just never turns out as balanced as the BL Chelada. The BL waters it down perfectly while providing the sparkle and just a tiny flavor contribution. For me, a good michelada is about highlighting the tomato mix, not so much about the beer. Kinda like a watery, sparkly, lighter bloody mary.

Man, I just struggled through 2 sixers of Hazed and Infused by Boulder Brewing that I bought for a party like 3 weeks ago. Terrible, terrible beer. I couldn't even give them away once people had given them a taste, and this is a crowd that enjoys a fine craft beer, as most were enjoying Rogue porters or Lagunitas IPAs. Maybe this is a result of sitting on the shelf too long or something, but man, it was awful.

H&I is just one of those beers...I absolutely love it when it's fresh, but as soon as it gets some light to it or gets a little skunky, it just tastes like hot ass. Not sure what it is about it. Most likely why it has such an up and down opinion on it.

I was just in Reno, NV for the weekend and went to "Brew Brothers". Their beers were gross. I honestly would rather drink BMC. I tried their IPA, amber, stout, and kolsch btw.

+1

I love that brewery. I converted 2 BMC drinkers on Black Butte Porter and that beer was a major accelerant in my love and exploration of craft beer.

Same thing for me. SWMBO and I went camping a few weekends ago (ok technically we didn't camp; we just showed up and drank beer) and we brought a 12 of Deschutes BBP. A couple of the BMC drinkers tried one, then two, then three and suddenly the 12 pack was gone. They said it was really good but the ABV crept up on them. :)

Had a Mission Street Hefeweizen from Trader Joe's.

Holy Belgian phenolic. This one was a real struggle for me to drink.

RateBeer and Beer Advocate seem to disagree with me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Or perhaps I just don't like Belgian funk in my Hefs.

It was a sorgham beer. Ten years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. Still gives me the heebeegeebees. Tasted like icky syrup. Had a picture of an elephant outline on an african plain. I would love to hear if anyone has had it, can not recall the name of that abomination. I killed slugs with it for years, poor slugs. Midas Touch takes second prize, with honorable mentions going to arrogant bastard oaked (like chewing on a chair leg) and surley smoke (how dare me)(which was way too smokey, a struggle for a guy who loves campfires).

Had a Mission Street Hefeweizen from Trader Joe's.

Holy Belgian phenolic. This one was a real struggle for me to drink.

RateBeer and Beer Advocate seem to disagree with me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Or perhaps I just don't like Belgian funk in my Hefs.

My favorite hefes always have big clove phenolics like Schneider Weiss. But being a Trader Joe's beer which knows. There stuff is sometimes very old. I bought a Vienna Lager from them that was so oxidized it tasted like wet cardboard coated in very old caramel. Disgusting.

My favorite hefes always have big clove phenolics like Schneider Weiss. But being a Trader Joe's beer which knows. There stuff is sometimes very old. I bought a Vienna Lager from them that was so oxidized it tasted like wet cardboard coated in very old caramel. Disgusting.

Dated 25 Jan 13. :(

I'd have to go with Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde, off memory. I remember having a difficult time finishing one with my brother. For whatever reason, I bought another six three years later, and it was just as wretched.

Mind you, I'm sure Pete made some truly wicked ales, but I haven't even given them a second thought since that lost weekend.

Epic Ales in Washington made some pretty aweful beers. We were sent a package from one of our suppliers with 4 of their beers, and the "Epic Fales" jokes started after the first two...the second two didn't save anything for them.

Will still be open to drinking them down the road, just won't be spending my money on it! :cross:

Three Philosophers. I know I'm gonna make alot of people mad with that one, but it tastes like cherry cough syrup to me.

I wish my cherry cough syrup tasted like beer! Glad most beers don't taste like cherry cough syrup though ;)

dannypo said:

The TJs stuff is pretty hit and miss. Their Oatmeal Stout is pretty good and so is the Dunkelweiss.

That said, the Mission St. Blonde is awful and so is the Kennebunkport IPA.

Bought a 6er of Sam Adams Summer Ale last night. That beer seems to have so much artifical fruit flavor. It just has a weird fake kinda taste. I dont remember it being that way on draft in the past years Ive had it.

I had one on draught that was horrifying. It reminded of someone's first homebrew batch. Not their first batch, but the first batch where they tried to "get creative" with a recipe. God awful.

In all honesty, none of the Sam Adams beers have ever been very good. I've never, ever, purchased the same product of theirs twice. Some are okay, some are meh and some are just craptacular.

Back on the subject of trader joes, avoid at all costs the Twin Screw Double IPA. Pure ****. Nothing double or IPA about it. Just junk. I wrote to their customer service since it's a private label thing I think and told them the beer tasted like a tampon soaked in stale beer. And that it was a fitting name, Twin Screw, since you're screwed when you buy it and screwed again when you drink it. They never wrote back.

7nTnr.png

I had one on draught that was horrifying. It reminded of someone's first homebrew batch. Not their first batch, but the first batch where they tried to "get creative" with a recipe. God awful.

In all honesty, none of the Sam Adams beers have ever been very good. I've never, ever, purchased the same product of theirs twice. Some are okay, some are meh and some are just craptacular.

Back on the subject of trader joes, avoid at all costs the Twin Screw Double IPA. Pure ****. Nothing double or IPA about it. Just junk. I wrote to their customer service since it's a private label thing I think and told them the beer tasted like a tampon soaked in stale beer. And that it was a fitting name, Twin Screw, since you're screwed when you buy it and screwed again when you drink it. They never wrote back.

I agree 100% on all counts. I feel the same way about Sam Adams. That Saod, its not the worst or close to the worst, ill drink it.

jcorn said:
Pabst has been around as long as anyone else and actually tastes as good as anything else in my opinion. Naming your beer after the Hendrix experience seems pretty hipster to me.

Agreed.
I've toured the Abita brewery, good tour, small brewery...well at least ten years ago it was...purple haze is okay at best, bad name though. Actually nothing about Abita beer makes me go WOW, Now that is a tasty beverage.

Local breweries take on a berlinner weiss. Except it was a smoked beer. Awful. Tasted like regurgitated hot dogs with a copper penny aftertaste. We dumped it

Local breweries take on a berlinner weiss. Except it was a smoked beer. Awful. Tasted like regurgitated hot dogs with a copper penny aftertaste. We dumped it

I think that's ultra old school. Seriously. I have read somewhere, perhaps in my many trips to the great brewing libraries of Bavaria (or maybe somewhere on the internet), that smoked malts were used prior to the introduction of plain malt.

I had a Sam Adams cherry lambic that was in a winter mix 12 pack about ten years ago. At that point, there was no beer I wouldn't drink, especially if someone else was buying. This stuff was freaking wretched. I couldn't even get a single swallow down. I passed the bottle to my soon to be brother in law, who thought i was being a wuss. He almost threw up when it hit his lips.

It is incomprehensible that anyone would sell something that tasted this horrific, so I assume it was a bad bottle. A very, very bad bottle. To paraphrase a quote from Futurama, this beer would have tasted better as vomit.

I had a Sam Adams cherry lambic that was in a winter mix 12 pack about ten years ago. At that point, there was no beer I wouldn't drink, especially if someone else was buying. This stuff was freaking wretched. I couldn't even get a single swallow down. I passed the bottle to my soon to be brother in law, who thought i was being a wuss. He almost threw up when it hit his lips.

It is incomprehensible that anyone would sell something that tasted this horrific, so I assume it was a bad bottle. A very, very bad bottle. To paraphrase a quote from Futurama, this beer would have tasted better as vomit.

Nope, not a bad bottle, just a sad excuse for a lambic. Or beer in general. It's my worst as well. Along with a lot of others on this thread

I really like abita restoration pale ale. Good hop aroma and taste and a nice malt to round out the taste. Purple haze was just OK and the same with turbo dog.

I wouldn't personally put them on my list of worst beers at all.

I think that's ultra old school. Seriously. I have read somewhere, perhaps in my many trips to the great brewing libraries of Bavaria (or maybe somewhere on the internet), that smoked malts were used prior to the introduction of plain malt.

I don't know if their intention was old school but it was foul. Hot dog flavored vomit I tell ya. I had a friend give me a sample of a breweries smoked ale and it tasted like I was drinking liquid smoke. I don't know what brewery it was from though

Pilamman said:
Anything by Victory brewing where it seems their motto is if a little is good, then a ****load is awesome. I love IPAs but theirs is way over the top. There's not enough toothpaste to rid that taste.

I don't know, Hop Devil is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back