Racking question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Any tools or tips that will help me pull the clean beer off of the trub from the primary and/or secondary. I'm thinking there might be a tool that would hold the auto siphon at the appropriate angle and height in a bucket to pull cleanly. I have been just holding the siphon in the bucket and carboy during the racking or sometimes I'll through a piece of tape on it to hold in place. Is that about all I can do?

Thanks!

You can pick up an autosiphon clamp for about $4. I use mine until the beer is about 2" from the bottom, then switch to my patented "angle hold/fermenter tip" method of draining the last bit of beer.

You can pick up an autosiphon clamp for about $4. I use mine until the beer is about 2" from the bottom, then switch to my patented "angle hold/fermenter tip" method of draining the last bit of beer.

This is also what I do. I use the clamp for most of the transfer so that I don't have to sit there and hold it the whole time.

I find that hand holding for the last bit I can do a better job hand holding.

I put a hop bag on the end of my siphon that goes into the primary. I feel like this helps remove some of the gunk and stuff on the bottom. I always have clear beer but I do sometimes run into a problem with a slow siphon. When I that happens, I just re-adjust the wand and its good to go. Also, I take the rubber stopper from the carboy and put that under on side of the bottle and have my wand on the other so all the beer gets tilted towards the want. I get almost every drop of beer out clean.

^this

And as mine gets closer to empty I will slow the siphoning down and carefully lower the tube closer to the trub while watching for the first sign of anything getting sucked up and then I shut it off.

Back