How do you announce that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose1231

Reaction score
Hi, so the other days I was with some new colleagues at the bar. We were discussing what pitcher we would take and they choose some crappy beer (molson export, canadian crap beer). Without being obnoxious, after several years of homebrewing, I kind of think that commercial beer like bud or coors are disgusting, and I prefer water to them. So I just ordered a pint of IPA and I said that molson export causes me to have diarrhea (Yeah I couldn't come up with better).

So, how would you guys handled that. I mean, without sounding like the obnoxious guy who makes his own beer because the other beers doesn't please him?

I wouldn't have said a thing. What others drink is their business. The fact that I prefer "craft" beer doesn't put me in a position to talk down to others because they prefer something I'm not into. Life's too short to worry about what other people drink.

Don't worry dude, the smell will give it away. Diarrhea "announces" itself quite well.

This has happened a few times to me and probably always will.

I just drink it anyway, even though I wouldn't drink it on my own.

If it were business and I didn't want to make a bad impression (warranted or not), I'd just drink what was in the pitcher and say that I'd get the next one.

I'd have handled it the same way. Your tastes are your tastes. Nothing to be ashamed of or to feel like you are downing your friend's choices.

I would have said "aww man they have (whatever the IPA was) on tap! I love that stuff! I'm going to get one, anyone else interested?"

This way its not that they have the crappy beer, its that you found a favorite beer on the menu and you are excited.

Coors literally gives me a headache after one. So I always go with that. Then I'll order something I like and let the others drink what they want. Around here, Yuengling is always a choice so even if they don't have any craft beers, I'll go with one of their offerings. Always works well.

often when i am out only some portion of us split a pitcher. if my friends order a pitcher of something i'm not feeling, i just opt out and do my own thing. i don't think it is a big deal.

often i'm on the other end - my friends want a pitcher of something big, bold, and flavorful whereas i just want a simple light lager or something basic like a newcastle.

I just tell them that I'm not drinking that peasant pisswater tonight, and then I adjust monocle and order a pint of a fantastic IPA.

But really, I'm just honest and tell them I'm not drinking ****ty beer when there's good beer available, but they're welcome to order anything they like.

I run into this problem a lot. BMC owns my city. There are only a few bars that serve good-ish to good beer, but I can usually get something that's not bad. Incidentally, due to me being known as a homebrewer, no one ever questions when I say I'd rather drink piss than BMC. Whether that means I'm considered a snob, or if they find it part of my personality, I can't tell--but it sure makes situations like these pretty unlikely.

Back