Something's weird with my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucard1983

Reaction score
So anyways I'm trying to harvest yeast with a yeast out of the bottle of a beer I like. So anyways I was 1.010 then it went to 1.002 so I added more starter solution till it was 1.025. Anyways it is on a stir plate when I took it off and measured the sg it was 1.023. When I look closer at it, it was almost like there is gel in it (little pen top sized). Is this normal or am I building a bacteria and not yeast or should I turn it off the stir plate and let the yeast do the rest? Or is this normal like trub?

Ya my stir bar is like a oval shape. When I turn it on everything is stiring with a good cyclone. Don't know what would have to do with it.

When was the beer bottled? It may too old or the bottle just might not have enough yeast in it. What beer?

Buy more beer. Make them cold. Carefully pour 85% of the beer to drink. Do for 3 bottles again. Rest into a DME wort at 1.040 in a 500 flask. Stir for a few days, cold crash, decant, move to 1L with 1.040 DME wort. Next 1.5L, 2L, etc. Cold crash decant between each step up.
Is that what you did. Last time I did this I got a nice white layer of yeast on the bottom of the flask.

Ya I poured out 3 bottles 85% of the beer and drank. I make a 300 ml of 1.010 then let it on the stir plate with trub (was reading another fourm with info). Then I added more wort without decanting like the other site said and added another 200 ml to bring it to 1.025. They said to keep doing this till it reached 1000ml then cold crash then decant and start over again

Only difference in my process was using 1.040 DME wort and cold crash/decanting a lot. I got that nice yeast layer. Could it be the age of the beer? Could the supplier have left the beer too hot during storage/handling?

Not sure. You think I should cold crash it decant and store yeast . then wash the flask out and try a 1.040 starter at 500 ml?

Not sure. You think I should cold crash it decant and store yeast . then wash the flask out and try a 1.040 starter at 500 ml?

This is the process I've used and had success with. Let me see if I can dig up my notes and see if I am leaving something out.

Or do anyone wanna help me out with a Schneider weissen yeast slant and ill make arrangements for shipping? Mean while ill cold crash and decant

Back