Hybrid cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagular1974

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got a few questions to make sure I'm in the right direction, I have just made my first hybrid pear and apple cider from a young's pear kit and added 12 liters of apple juice instead of water and topped up with water to 21 liters which should give me the 7% strength cider. Problem is its very cloudy and not clear after sitting in fermentation for 6 weeks (to make sure it had finished) but then I added finings before I realised I need some yeast in suspension for carbing in the bottles so my plan now is to add a liter of apple juice or .5 a cup of sugar to prime with a little new yeast but how much should I add

I bet you still have enough yeast in there to carbonate. It might take a little longer, but once you transfer from your fermentation vessel to your bottling bucket you should stir up enough to make it happen. If you are worried about it...a couple of grams of rehydrated yeast into the bottling bucket should be enough. just rack on top of it to mix well.

Thanks for your response, i was going to filter as well to get the good clarity of a cider but obviously this would take out more yeast out. i assume as i will be bottling after priming and i would like a good fizz i would need to be careful with how much yeast i add so to avoid bombs. i am also going to back sweeten as i used champagne yeast (didn't realise it would make it so dry) with artificial sweeten to try to control carbonation,

It's not the amount of yeast left that cause the bombs...it's the amount of sugar left for them to eat. If they have nothing to eat, they stop producing CO2. If there's too much, they keep eating until she blows.

Keep in mind that cloudy cider tastes just as good as clear cider. So unless you are giving them as gifts or submitting them to contests, a little haze isn't a bad thing.

suppose you're right there, do i add the same amount of artificial sweetener as i would normal sugar.

Since it's non-fermentable, you can add as much artificial sweetener as you'd like. "to taste". I would go easy at first and taste...you can always add more. I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, so I can't say how much would be a good starting point.

Back