Mash tun sizes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke123

Reaction score
Hey I am getting ready to do my first all grain batch and have been trying to research the right mash tun. As of now I will only be doing 5gal batches (batch sparging) and most likely will be for some time. I typically like/brew: IPA, Pale Ale, Brown Ales, and Stouts. I have heard a lot of people saying "go just go with the larger mash tun (48qt) so you can brew bigger beers or 10gal if necessary". Although Looking at the rackers.org calculator, it seems like I wouldn't need anything over 36qts or 9gal. Any advice would help. Also cooper set up or SS braid sheath?

Yes go with the larger MLT if you can for sure. I have never heard anyone complain their MLT was to large. But thats not the case on the other side of the coin..

Cheers
Jay

Though it really depends on the configuration/materials/use you are trying to achieve, bigger is usually better.
I'm very happy with my 120 qt cooler, but it would be way too big for smaller batches.
BTW Jaybird, ever made a false bottom for a Coleman?

Though it really depends on the configuration/materials/use you are trying to achieve, bigger is usually better.
I'm very happy with my 120 qt cooler, but it would be way too big for smaller batches.
BTW Jaybird, ever made a false bottom for a Coleman?

Which Coleman? I did a rectangle Coleman for a guy here local.

Cheers
Jay

I started off with a square 10 gallon MLT, that worked fine for pretty much every 5 gallon batch until I started trying to brew big imperial stouts that were >11% ABV. So then I upgraded to a rectangular 70 qt Coleman Extreme. I still use the 10 gallon for most of my 5 gallon batches. I use the bigger MLT for high gravity 5 gallon and all of my 10 gallon batches. I echo everyone elses comments, go big or go home, you can do simple things like laying aluminum foil over the top of the mash if you're concerned about heat loss with a small mash in a big tun, however you can't do anything if your big mash won't fit into a small tun.

Back