Help with starter options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hey all--
Quick and simple question. I just made a starter for a standard bitter (1.040 OG) I'm going to brew on Friday. It's on the stir plate now. However, I will be brewing in a different location that will necessitate an hour drive.

Mr current plan is to leave it on the stir plate until Thursday night, and then throw it in the fridge overnight. I'm planning on transporting it in a sanitized plastic soda bottle and I have 2 options: 1) try to decant as much as I can without losing yeast before transferring to the plastic bottle (this way I don't have to worry about the yeast and remaining wort getting shaken up on the trip as I can just pitch the whole thing) or 2) put the entire starter in the plastic bottle, put it in the fridge when I get home, and decant what I can before I pitch it ~4 hours later

Any advice?

If you decant before the drive then you have your yeast warmed up and ready when you get there. If you take the whole starter then it will be warmed back up and the yeast swirled back into suspension on the drive.

Latest posts

Back