Wheatish Barleywine - Comments?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issekremaaa

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got some WLP351 and lots of Wheat malt left and thought I could make something more unconventional :fro:. The following recipe was born from this: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/kremerbraus-wheatwine

I have not put too much thought into my hopping schedule as I want to use up some of my already open hop packets. But can you go wrong with floral/citrusy varieties?

Any suggestions for adjustments? Any experience with wheatwines? Most importantly, will the Ayinger Wheat strain be able to cope with the high FG? I was going to add the S-33 towards the end of fermentation.

Cheers!

I can't imagine wheat proteins standing up to the extended aging necessary for a barleywine. Maybe you kinda rack off the protein matter when you go to secondary for aging?

Several companies are coming out with some amazing wheat wines lately...really digging the style and I'm not the biggest wheat fan. Go for it

Thanks for the assurance guys. Barleywines are not the cheapest to make so good to hear from someone whos had one before.

I wasnt aware that it was the wheat proteins that make you drink ur weissbiers relatively quick...

Back