"Muddy" tasting and looking Double Bastard.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6173

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not really sure how to describe this but I bottles an AHS Double Bastard clone a week or so ago. It was fairly clean and clear at bottling but I cracked open a bottle to sample it and of course it wasn't fully carbed yet but the taste and clarity have changed drastically. I don't know how to describe it other than muddy looking and tasting. i had it in primary for about a month and secondary for three months. Added about 1/4 pack of s-05 and 3.6 oz of dextrose at bottling. I've had this problem once before with a dead guy clone and never really figured out the issue. I know this is a hard one without actually being able to taste the beer but does anyone what I'm talking about or what the problem may be?

You could be tasting and seeing the yeast you added at bottling. With a high alcohol brew like DB it could take a while for the yeast to eat up that priming sugar. Once fully carbed refrigerate that mother and let it age.

I would agree, and add that at 1 week the yeast is very active in the bottle and stirring things up. Give it time at carbing temp, and then let them settle in the fridge.

I hadn't considered that I guess. I was more worried that I had screwed something up doing the process. That makes sense though especially with an almost 12% abv brew. I'll give them a month or so in bottles before I chill and sample again and see how it is.

Back