converting to smaller volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I poured out 11 bottles of brew today that were just undrinkable. This was from a 2 gallon batch that I did a few months ago. I had lots of problems during the process, stuck sparge, high boil off rate. I was using a 2 gallon cooler that I had turned into a MLT,,just like my 10 gallon one with a smaller manifold.
I converted a 5 gallon recipe to brew this.
5 gallon 2 gallon
10 lbs 2 row to 4 lbs 2 row
28 gr. euro hops 60 min to 11.25 gr. hops 60 min
28 gr. Citra hops 15 min to 11.25 gr. hops 15 min
28 gr. Citra hops 5 min to 11.25 gr. hops 5 min
12.5 qts. strike water to 5 qts. strike water

I vorloufed, got 1.25 qts into pot, batch sparged with 10 qts and ended up with 11 qts in boil kettle.
My problem comes from the amount of boil off. My boil pot loses approx 4 qts per hr. This leaves me short for a 2 gal batch. I figured to get hop utilization I had to boil for the full 60 min. My boil off rate is the same if I have 6.5 gallon or 2.5 gallon.
How do I overcome the boiloff problem in smaller batches?

You either need a smaller diameter pot or up your pre-boil volume to like 13-14 qts. I just made a 2.5 gallon batch with 4 lbs of grain. I mashed with 7 qt, batch sparged twice with 5 qts each, so 17 qts water total. Lost 2 qts to grain absorption and started the boil with 3.75 gallon. When batch sparging I don't worry about pH problems from over sparging, but if that's your issue then just top up the kettle with plain water.

Edit: I see you lost 3.75 qts on your first runnings. About 2 would be to grain absorption, do you have dead space in your small tun? Stuck sparge with it too. I'd just line the thing with a bag, no dead space and no stuck sparges. 1.75 qt dead space in an 8 qt tun would proportionally be over 2 gallons lost in a 10 gallon tun.

Back