This work for a structure to grow hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Would the structure on the left be a good set up for growing hops? I want to grow in raised beds and also not be to big. I'm not sure my HOA would allow tall structure

That arbor-looking thing? It will be far from ideal, but with constant maintenance and training you might get something useful out of the effort.

Hops plants seem to spend a lot of effort to reach the sun. My second year plants averaged 30' in length (~25' up and then trained along the drop-suspension line 'til harvest). They likely won't be as happy when they run out of "climb" in - what - 5 feet?

Cheers!

I want it to look appealing as well as not be somthing my neighbors will complain about after it gets 20 feet tall. I will have 4 plants and want to build some sort of structure that is architecturally pleasing but functional. I would appreciate any plans or examples

Back