Brewing a beer today any suggestions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's not snowing here at the moment (but will tomorrow.......), so I have thoughts of spring. So, I say a cream ale or other light quaffable drinker (maybe Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops) to have ready as a lawnmower beer!

Yeah brew something light and with a quick turn around so when the weather turns really nice you will have some porch beer!!

LHBSs should have a Wheel of Wortune that has like 100 different beers with recipes for all. That would be awesome. Take all of the thought right out of it.

I just brewed ten gallons of a light wheat beer that will be split into two fermenters. One will be a raspberry wheat and the other will be peach. These will be for my wife and other friends that don't like any beers with IBU north of 20.

I just brewed ten gallons of a light wheat beer that will be split into two fermenters. One will be a raspberry wheat and the other will be peach. These will be for my wife and other friends that don't like any beers with IBU north of 20.

Biggrizzly, while I have a wife that likes IPAs, she doesn't like stouts and porters. Would you mind sharing your wheat beer recipe? I am planning on brewing a wheat beer soon - splitting into two batches similar to you but one will be a prickly pear wheat from prickly pear juice obtained from Texas and the other will be a raspberry or peach. Thanks.
:mug:

I've got a dark hybrid lager doing fridge time now,& a light colored one that'll be ready for the fridge in a couple more weeks. I'm brewing a NZ IPA now. A light colored ale or the like would be good for upcoming warm weather.

I am always confused when people ask what they should brew. I understand asking for a recipe for a specific style, i.e. "I want to brew a robust porter, any recipes?" but I just don't get, "What should I brew?" Brew what you like to drink or a new style you want to try. Maybe something special for your spouse/significant other. I brew several times a month and between new recipes I want to try and ones I brew on a regular basis, I can't imagine needing to ask anyone outside my immediate family what they think I should do next. Oh well, I am old. Sorry for the mini-rant.

DirtyOldDuck said:
I am always confused when people ask what they should brew. I understand asking for a recipe for a specific style, i.e. "I want to brew a robust porter, any recipes?" but I just don't get, "What should I brew?" Brew what you like to drink or a new style you want to try. Maybe something special for your spouse/significant other. I brew several times a month and between new recipes I want to try and ones I brew on a regular basis, I can't imagine needing to ask anyone outside my immediate family what they think I should do next. Oh well, I am old. Sorry for the mini-rant.

I like the rant. Won't hurt my feelings I'm just learning still and I do extract brewing. Any recipes you think are good for a new by trying to get better would be helpful

Thanks

I like the rant. Won't hurt my feelings I'm just learning still and I do extract brewing. Any recipes you think are good for a new by trying to get better would be helpful

Thanks

Well, I hope it didn't hurt your feelings, it wasn't meant to be mean. I don't brew with extract so I don't have any recipes. If you are just starting out, I would definitely encourage you to brew styles you like to drink. Knowing what an IPA or a Porter is supposed to taste like will help you judge the success of your own attempt. I also encourage people to learn how to brew a good example of a style before they go adding things like acorns, meatloaf, and succotash -but that is another rant.

My suggestion would be to use the recipe section of HBT. Pick a style and then look for a recipe with lots of replies and stars. Chances are it will be a very good example of the style and many have extract recipes included, or a recipe can be converted to extract with either steeping grains or a partial mash. Best of luck.

Back