To move to secondary or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umbergbr

Reaction score
All right I know this has been beat to a pulp but is it ok to move to a secondary after 7 days? The reason I ask is I want to start another batch.

The recipe I just used called for it to be moved to a secondary after 7 days. I don't see any problem with it. Just do your best not to introduce oxygen to your beer.

. . . is it ok to move to a secondary after 7 days?

If you have to ask, the answer is, no.

If you know that your beer has reached final gravity and then had a couple of day to finish. Sure, it's OK.

Get another fermenter. You know you need it. :cross:

I have plastic bucket for fermenting can I use my plastic carboy that I would use as my secondary as my extra premiary?

Racking to secondary is not necessary (as you know) and there is risk in doing it. You can oxidize the beer or even contaminate it. Besides, you needed another fermenter anyway.

I have plastic bucket for fermenting can I use my plastic carboy that I would use as my secondary as my extra premiary?

If it's big enough, yes. Some kits come with a 6 gallon fermenter for primary and a 5 gallon secondary. You need that head space in the larger vessel.

Back