Metheglyser? Cyseglin? Whatever it is, it's my first shot at mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I tried Viking Blod, and it was amazingly delicious. I figured I might as well have a go at making some mead of my own, and since I really like jamaica (hibiscus tea), I figure that would be a good place to start. I don't expect to make anything like Viking Blod, of course, and am going as fas as to incorporate apple juice into this... what do you call meads? they aren't 'brews'... anyway, I digress. Here is the recipe I am in the middle of making:
  • 4 Gal Costco Apple Juice
  • 6# Clover Honey
  • 1# Dried Hibiscus
  • 1oz Malic Acid
  • D-47 Yeast

I added the malic acid to emulate the juice from a cider apple. I do this with my cider recipe, though I add more to that than 1oz.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? (Keep in mind this is almost ready to be pitched at the time of writing).

Edit: just measured the SG at 1.103.

I heated 3 gal of the apple juice and steeped the hibiscus in it for a while. I steeped it at 175F to make sure the hibiscus didn't bring anything to the must I don't want.

Back