Identifying Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXANM

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so kids came and I got out of brewing for a few years. I have 3 plants that grow really great, but I can't remember with is cascade, Northern, and Willamette hops. Reading threads it doesn't look like you can, but is there enough difference in these that I can identify any of them. I'm thinking cascade should be easy right?

Thanks,
Chris

Willamette cones are small to medium in size, somewhat round-shaped, light colored, and the smell is mild and slightly spicy. Cascade cones are compact, medium sized, slightly squared off at the top and bottom, and darker green than Willamette. The smell is flowery and citrusy - think grapefruit. Northern Brewer are also medium-sized cones, not as compact as Willamette, but more so than Willamette. The cones are also prone to developing little leaves in the cones. Most of this info came off of http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/hops.cfm. Good luck.

That sounds like I can do some identifying them, thanks Dirtyoldduck! I will post some pictures once I have cones & get some opinions on my findings.

Back