Bottleing in Apple juice bottle, nervous.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transposon

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I had to bottle 5 gal of IPA but all I had were plastic screw top 96oz apple juice jugs (makers mark from SAMS club). It has been 3 days and they are starting to swell. Do you think they will contain the pressure?

Id rather not have a ruined floor.

Thanks.

No. Though I'd be more worried about ruining your eyes and other body parts rather than the floor. You've created a significant safety hazard.

It's always a bad idea to bottle in anything that isn't meant for pressure or didn't previously contain a carbonated beverage. Especially considering that these are 3 quart bottles!

I'd suggest getting them in the fridge right now and keeping them cold until they're all consumed. Drinking 5 gallons of flat IPA is much better than an exploding bottle.

Even if they were rated for pressure, 3 quart jugs are going to be impossible to pour out of without a ton of sediment. Next time if you're in a pinch grab some plain seltzer, dump out the seltzer and use that. Cheap and much safer. Also, I didn't know Maker's Mark sold apple juice :drunk:

Next time, if you run into this problem, use 2 liter soda bottles, they are designed to hold about 50-60PSI of pressure.

Fill the soda bottle, leaving about 3" of headspace. Sqeeze the bottle so that all the O2 is purged and the beer is up to the tip to, and cap it. The CO2 will fill the headspace as it carbs!

Back