yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
Got a question to ask the yeasters. What yeast will withstand an alcohol content of about 10% to 12%.

Got a question to ask the yeasters. What yeast will withstand an alcohol content of about 10% to 12%.

With stand it or konk out at that level?

Any wine yeast will pass that...probably most bread yeast as well.

Ok. I've made some apple wine. It stopped fermenting after a week using bread yeast. I racked. Back sugared and it didn't do anything else. The abv wasn't much and I reyeasted it. It done nothing. And it taste like cider. I thought bread yeast only went to 4% to 8% abv. How do I raise the abv with bread yeast. And no. I don't have a hydrometer yet. But the stuff is still really sweet.

Ok. I've made some apple wine. It stopped fermenting after a week using bread yeast. I racked. Back sugared and it didn't do anything else. The abv wasn't much and I reyeasted it. It done nothing. And it taste like cider. I thought bread yeast only went to 4% to 8% abv. How do I raise the abv with bread yeast. And no. I don't have a hydrometer yet. But the stuff is still really sweet.

No can do...wine yeast is only a buck or so a pack, use that instead. Your taste buds will thank you.

+1

Grab some Lalvin K1-1116 wine yeast. It works well in stuck fermentations, and goes to 14%. 1$ a package most places.

bread yeast probably cant stand that high of a abv level because at a certain percent the alcohol kills the weak bread yeast. im pretty sure this is why

Back