2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sheets from NY today.

The NY site director must have meant 'They are in the mail-ish' when he emailed me on Monday. Either that or the New York postal workers are busier than most postal workers.

Which would be a logical assumption.

Well, there goes my hopes of having my scoresheets in the mailbox this afternoon :mad:

Out of my eight entries, I got 2nd with an Alt and 2nd with Standard Cider (my first cider)! I really expected my lagers to medal...guess I'll have to wait for the scoresheets.

I entered two beers and my Stout placed 2nd in NY. I guess I can wait another day for two for the score sheets!

Woooo!! :mug:

I gotta say, waiting for the results was worth it. Our Berliner Weisse came in First place in Milwaukee and our Nut Brown grabbed Second. This is the second competition I've been in and definitely the biggest. Can't wait to see what round two holds. Cheers!

They published the results to NY!!! I got a first place for my Pumpkin Ale!!!! Woohoo! I entered 6 beers total, with three making it to the Mini BOS. Only the pumpkin made it through with a score of 40.

Bummer. Neither of my 2 (6A and 23A) advanced. Guess I won't be as excited to see that envelope from Atlanta, when it finally arrives.

Struck out this year. All of my entries scored in the mid to high 30's. IPA got a 37, went to mini-BOS, but didn't place. Congrats to the folks that had beers move on!

Congrats man... I also entered this category but didn't place! We should meet up to trade RIS's!

I wish I had some to share :(

I brewed this a year ago February and only have three bottles left. I'm definately going to brew it again... and soon. :)

So did anyone who went to Mini-BOS but didn't have a place marked actually advance? We didn't.

One advancing for me. Very happy but not sure I will enter nationals again. I think I will stick to the local comps.

Josh

Bummer. Neither of my 2 (6A and 23A) advanced. Guess I won't be as excited to see that envelope from Atlanta, when it finally arrives.
Not true, you could still have made it to a mini BOS or score a "personal" best. Im hoping for the best

I wish I had some to share :(

I brewed this a year ago February and only have three bottles left. I'm definately going to brew it again... and soon. :)
Understandable, handle those with care...gotta bring home the big medal for the state :) - notice the 1st place winner is just a little northeast in Monrovia.

Congrats to all who moved on!

One advancing for me. Very happy but not sure I will enter nationals again. I think I will stick to the local comps.
I expect I'll enter again next year using some of the things I learned this year about the limitations of the process. It seems that site, category, and description selection go a lot further than I would have expected.

Congrats to everyone that made it to the second round! It's nice seeing familiar names of friends and also new people that are killing it! Cheers All

Sweet !! My Brown Porter took 3rd in Seattle!! Now the question is whether or not I should rebrew or not?

So did anyone who went to Mini-BOS but didn't have a place marked actually advance?
nope. no number = you didn't advance. if you got a Mini-BOS check mark that means you were good enough to advance to the show-down. no number means that they picked other beers during that final show-down. so you made it to the final fours, but didn't win the title. still - congrats! i got two mini-BOS's but neither moved on.

My one entry (a 10-C) did not advance, but I didn't expect it to either. Looking forward to finding out my score and reading the feedback.

My one entry (a 10-C) did not advance, but I didn't expect it to either. Looking forward to finding out my score and reading the feedback.

If you log onto your region at www.brewingcompetition.com you can see your score, in case you don't want to wait.

I had 2 advance and got a 37 for a DIPA which went to mini-BOS but got bumped from there. I know 3 bottles that are going to be emptied tonight :tank:

Havent gotten my score sheets yet but looks like I got 2nd for my Rye Saison in 16c in Tulsa!

Will definitely rebrew and do a side by side.

Repping Philly Homebrew Club in the home town!

Checked the scores online. 29.5 for my cream ale, which was a little disappointing as it had placed elsewhere with much better scores, and 35.5 for Rye IPA, which I can't complain about. No mini BOS, which isn't surprising as 23 is a tough category. Better than my first time last year at least, but had been hoping for a slightly better showing. Oh well - congrats to all of you who moved on!

My best was a mini-BOS saison that didn't place, but scored a 39.5. Worst was my 23 sour porter, that scored a 23;) Three other entries in low 30s.

Awesome scores here . . . but no advancement (Atlanta)
08B Best Bitter, 38 mini-BOS, 17 Entries
13F Imperial Stout, 34 mini-BOS, 51 Entries
17A Berliner Weisse, 34, 29 Entries

Can't wait for my sheets & certs!!

nope. no number = you didn't advance. if you got a Mini-BOS check mark that means you were good enough to advance to the show-down. no number means that they picked other beers during that final show-down. so you made it to the final fours, but didn't win the title. still - congrats! i got two mini-BOS's but neither moved on.

Not actually true. Each site did it differently. They have the results now online. I made it the next round, but only had mini-BOS marked, no placed marked.

Checked my scores on the database and was disappointed. Frankly, they don't jive with recent competition results.

Fruit Beer - Blueberry Kolsch
- NHC Scored it a 29
- Took 1st and 3rd BOS with a 41 (Shamrock 2013) and 1st with a 38 (Colonial Cup)

Dortmunder Export
-NHC scored it a 32
- Scored a 35 (Shamrock 2013) and did not place and 1st with a 40.5 (Colonial Cup)

Vienna Lager
-NHC scored it a 33.5
- 1st with a 43 (Colonial Cup)

Obviously these competitions are smaller than NHC and competition is more stiff, still I'm surprised in the results for my fruit beer. All entries to NHC and the Colonial Cup were bottled from the keg on the same evening. I'll chalk it up to the stiffer competition but will see what the score sheets have to say. I will say that there was almost a month delay from shipping to judging that might not have been kind!

Nice job!

Looks like QUAFF (out of California) has ~51! :drunk:

Hopefully that's enough to beat out The Brewing Network "club" for club of the year.

My quick data parsing shows top 4:

20 Diablo Order of Zymiracle Enthusiasts (DOZE)
26 Saint Paul Homebrewers Club
45 The Brewing Network
54 QUAFF (Quality Ale and Fermentation Fraternity)

I've got 4 advancing this year, most I've ever had advance in a year

Frankly, they don't jive with recent competition results.

I've had that happen quite a bit (Arizona has a statewide competition about the same time as NHC first year) and I've entered the same beers in both every year.

Last year I had a mild score 41 in the local comp and 22 in NHC. :drunk:

One thing I always find a little humorous (especially because I'm guilty of it), but when you get a good score and a bad score you always assume the good score is "correct" is tha bad score meant the judges didn't know what they were talking about. :eek:

Nice job!

Hopefully that's enough to beat out The Brewing Network "club" for club of the year.

The BN has 45 going on. It will probably be close and will only involve the top clubs like it does every year (BN, DOZE, QUAFF, St. Paul).

I entered this year under my new club but won a silver last year for the BN. As long as the rules allow it, I will cheer for them every time they win it.

I was hoping to see a Philly area club make the push this year but not being familiar with any of them, I can't tell if one dominated. That and the fact they are spread across several regions because of the registration issues.

Nice job!

That's insane. We only had one member who "flooded" the region with 15 entries and they placed with 4. I can imagine that if every brewer in the club got 10-15 entries in, it's possible to pull numbers like that.

That's insane. We only had one member who "flooded" the region with 15 entries and they placed with 4. I can imagine that if every brewer in the club got 10-15 entries in, it's possible to pull numbers like that.

Yeah, it looks like many of them were in meads/ciders and spread out across all regions.

I wonder if that was their plan? "Hey Bob and Bill, we know you both have great ciders, so send them to different regions so you're not competing against each other."

Checked my scores on the database and was disappointed. Frankly, they don't jive with recent competition results.

Fruit Beer - Blueberry Kolsch
- NHC Scored it a 29
- Took 1st and 3rd BOS with a 41 (Shamrock 2013) and 1st with a 38 (Colonial Cup)

Dortmunder Export
-NHC scored it a 32
- Scored a 35 (Shamrock 2013) and did not place and 1st with a 40.5 (Colonial Cup)

Vienna Lager
-NHC scored it a 33.5
- 1st with a 43 (Colonial Cup)

Obviously these competitions are smaller than NHC and competition is more stiff, still I'm surprised in the results for my fruit beer. All entries to NHC and the Colonial Cup were bottled from the keg on the same evening. I'll chalk it up to the stiffer competition but will see what the score sheets have to say. I will say that there was almost a month delay from shipping to judging that might not have been kind!

My NHC scores from Atlanta:
Helles (1D) 30.5
Dunkel (4B) 30
Oktoberfest (3B) 32.5
Doppelbock (5C) 33.5

We went head to head on a couple of these Darwin. I'm slightly (understatement) disappointed in my Helles score, that beer is just about perfect IMO, so I'm anxious to see the scoresheets to note the flaws they picked up. When I sent my beers, I thought for sure the helles would advance. Well, I guess although the lager categories have fewer number of entries, the ones that do enter know what they're doing.

This is the third time I've entered NHC, and the first time I had nothing advance, so bummed a bit. I'm in a southern state that doesn't allow comps so actually this is also the 3rd ever competition for me. I figure if I'm going to mail some beers, I'm going to pick a good one. Maybe I need to pick another "good" one. AmandaK had a suggestion in this thread earlier.

I think I'm not playing the game correctly. I enter a beer in the category I think it should go in and don't bomb the category. I suppose I could've entered the helles into all of the light lager categories, but that defeats the spirit of the competition I think.

Back