House Plants and Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So, random thought....anyone ever try seeding a few house plant pots with some yeast, see if perhaps it's possible to get some wild yeast growing on the house plants? maybe it's just late and I've lost my mind......:confused::drunk:

Just to play devils advocate here. Just how would you go about seeding a house plant with yeast. Secondly if you could hoe would you know you were successful in getting a wild yeast to grow. On the other hand if you were seeding with a known strain of yeast the culture that grew wouldn't really be wild would it????

I have not a clue....Perhaps mix some yeast trub into the soil? Later you could leave a media plate in the plant pot and see what grew. Perhaps do a before and after in order to have a control. I was thinking if you put in a pure culture, perhaps it could cross breed with some of the local microbiota?

Oh Brother...no I mean Oh my brother would have the same question as you, as I would shake my head. Not that it's a bad question, it's just something I have no clue about and seems very complex.

I would think you would probably want something with some sugar on it, such as fruit tree, or I see my LHBS sit out a bowl of cheerios, which I'm not sure if that's the purpose and am now too cowardly to ask:mug:

You want some sugar which can come from sap and within the leaf structures. But could it also spore up and hide there for awhile.....?

Latest posts

Back