Trimming Back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghoti

Reaction score
I got hop plants from Great Lakes Hops and they are growing like mad. Should I just trim back a lot of these shoots and only leave like 2-3 growing?

hops1-59505.jpg

I have the same situation, but down in South Louisiana (yeh, I bet you never knew hops were grown down here, eh?)....Seems I read you should clip back the "weaker" shoots, but most of mine seem about equal. Probably 12-15 vines projecting 10-12" up right now.

I think it depends on if you are looking for a good harvest this year or not. If you just want to set yourself up for future years, I would let it all grow. But if you are looking to get a harvest this year, I would trim all but 2 or 3. I trimmed back my first years last year and got a decent yield, and it was even in a container.

Something I wish I'd done last year with my new first years was to put a tomato cage over the plants to keep them off the ground...

acecage.jpg

Latest posts

Back