Will this work for a HEAT STICK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartyParty

Reaction score
I'm hoping to use one of these "Element Adapters" in conjunction with a 90 elbow, straight pipe, and some clamps... My question is which direction does the element thread with the adapter? What I'm hoping is I can take the element and thread it just as the adapter lays in the picture. The idea is the flat side of the adapter would be able to be clamped to the 90 and the element coming out the front.

Scroll to the bottom

http://www.stilldragon.com/element-guard-kit-and-adapters.html

Thanks

If it's NPS it should thread from either side. Why don't you e-mail the vendor with your question?

What you're proposing should work. Haha, a TC heat stick though - fanciest heat stick evar! Do document it if you make it, i'm kinda jealous I never thought of that..

I did the math on it's about $100 in parts plus the element. So $110 or so total. I have been trying to order the parts on Still Dragon for a week now and they are out of the 90 elbows. Any idea of different vendor the 90 elbow?

tphjr said:
What would you use to reach up the side of the pot?

I'm guessing that would be the straight pipe, so it's be the nps to tri clover adapter clamped to the elbow, clamped to the straight pipe keep the wiring from ever being exposed to liquid. He could even drill out a cap and put a strain relief in at the top and it would be completely liquid tight.

By the time you pieced together all the parts plus shipping you could just buy one of these.
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...e=W&Product_Code=120V_HEL&Category_Code=EBREW

Hustlebird is right on. That is the plan. End cap at the top elbow with a hole and liquid tight cord grip. Everything would be liquid tight and not have to worry about using ZINK materials or JB weld melting away into my wort. Plus the bling factor AND it will be 30$-40$ cheaper than the keg kits version.

In the end it should be a very easy build. I need to drill one hole in the end cap, run the cord and attach the three wires, clamp it up. DONE!!!

Hey spartyparty, what/how are you going to ground? Since the adapter blank doesnt have a ground screw. Are you just going to clamp it in somewhere? Or will you be drilling/tapping and running a screw through something? Maybe the endcamp? (since you're already modifying it)

Just a thought I had, should be a pretty sweet heatstick (probably the best idea on making one i've seen).

I will ground it by soldering in a screw to the inside of the elbow. I'm real excited for it! Should be super easy and look great! Nice thing is by using 10/3 wire i can always upgrade it quick to 240v. Just swap out the element and plug end.

It's curious to me that you repeatedly recommend a business where the proprietor has such a bad reputation, without some type of disclaimer. I consider that to be quite unscrupulous.

Could it possibly be that TPHJR = Tom P. Hargrave Jr. ?

Not even clever, but I'm not surprised. Yup, if you go through some posts, you can see that it's a clear shill account.

So you are continuing to feign ignorance of who you are being accused of shilling for?

Can we have a moderator investigate this socket puppet please.

Good call alien. I found it odd that he checked the BBB and still thought it wise to recommend kegkits.

Boobby M I noticed you asked in the other thread why spend the money on a heat stick. Great question. The reason I'm rolling with this option is two fold. I'm not able to convert to all electric right now. When I brew I more often than not do 12 gallon batches. Heating strike and sparge water and bringing all that wort to a boil takes so much propane. The heat stick will save me money every time I brew in conjunction with the burner. Then When I do go all electric I will be able to drop this bad boy in the kettle and speed along the process of heating water and bring wort to a boil.

Why did you order the element guard kit with your build, did you use it in the heat stick? Also what size element is that and where did you pick it up. It seems very small (in a good way).

Thanks
Steve

Ultimately I ordered both the Element Guard Kit and the Element Adapter because I wasn't sure which would work and/or best and StillDragon told me I could send back anything I didn't need. Also liked the fact that the Element Guard Kit came with all the needed connectors, shrink wrap, drilled end cap w/ strain relief, and gasket & clamp, at reasonable price.
The Heater Element is a 120v 1500W ULWD and is mentioned/linked (Amazon) in post #7 in that thread. Yes, I am happy with it's size being smaller (fits nicely into my Boil Kettle and Mash Tun) and with it's performance.

Robert
GypsyBrew

Back