Question about burners I just got.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
Came across three 20 jet burners and have no clue of telling if they are for natural gas or propane. Is there a way to tell? If they are NG is there a way to convert them to run of propane. Here,s some pics.

image-1162898100.jpg

image-3960698188.jpg

You'd have to figure out the orifice diameter to know if they are high pressure or low pressure jets. It helps to have a collection of small drill bits on hand, and just find the one that barely fits inside the orifice...

Cheers!

There isn't really any way to change those type of burners to propane If they came as natural gas, unless every tip is replaced. Each tip has it's own orifice.

Hook it up light burner! Run 100 yards the other way and watch to see if it blows up!
Na just pull out the offices check size and see if you can match up with a conversion kit for something like a stove

Well I'm at work and have no bits around me but...... Here's a pic of one of the tips. The hole is no larger than a sewing needle.

image-595884294.jpg

A friend of mine gave them to me. I believe they came from a Chinese restaurant. I have 3 of them.

fwiw, I found this note in another thread:

"The burner is an impinging jet design. The natural gas burner has an orifice that is a #56 wire drill gage size. The propane burner of the same design has jets that are #75 wire drill gage size."

Easy enough to translate those.

#56 0.052 in/1.321 mm
#75 0.021 in/0.533 mm

Wikipedia says a typical "sharps" sewing needle is 0.072 in/1.83 mm in diameter...

Cheers!

My guess is natural gas. I doubt a restaurant would be fueled by propane. Propane in a restaurant is not very common.

There's no telling. The restaurant closed nearly 8 years ago.

Sure you can tell, drive around the building and see if you see the gas meter out back. Or see if there is still a propane tank or pipe hanging out the wall where it would have attached to the tank.

Well damn they are NG. Now I have no use for them. Conversion would be pricey. Any one wanna buy or trade them for other LP jet burners, I have 3.

Back