Gravity Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwagner

Reaction score
I am just getting into home brewing and I brewed a batch 2 weeks I ago on Sunday, 4/22. My OG reading was 1.040 on brew day. I waited 5 days and took a second batch of gravity readings and came up with 1.032 for 3 straight days. however, the foam layer was still fairly noticeable and I still had some intermittent CO2 bubbling going on, about every 1-2 minutes. I was told by a brewer friend that I should continue to wait until the foam layer broke down before getting ready to bottle.
The foam layer has since broken down and I took a gravity reading yesterday, 5/3, and my gravity now is at 1.029. I am thinking that my OG reading may have been off. I may not have had enough brew in the hydrometer cylinder and got a low reading because I can't figure out why there isn't a wider margin between the OG and subsequent gravity readings. However, after tasting the beer from the cylinder it tastes as though it has a relatively high alcohol content.

Any thoughts and how much longer should I wait before bottling?

Here is the recipe and type of beer.

Recipe for Amber Ale:

8lbs Light Malt Extract (OG not known)
1.25 lbs Crystal malt 120L
8oz munich malt
4oz chocolate malt
2oz columbus hops
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast - 1 package
2tsp gypsum
1 tsp irish moss

Pitched wyeast into starter of 1/4 cup DME and 1 cup water day before brew day.

Let me plug it into BS2. hold on. What was the Munich malt? Caramunich,or munich 10 or 20L? I also need the formal name of the yeast for BS2,7 when the hops were added.

briess munich malt 10L. I'm thinking about setting up another starter and repitching the yeast tomorrow.

I also need to know what wyeast 1028 is for the BS2 readout. It only knows the name of the yeast,not the number. **Nevermind,I found it. London Ale activator. Hold on...

Ok,well,all the numbers are way up out of range for an American Amber Ale.
BS2 = Beersmith2. I'm plugging in your ingredients to get the numbers. here we go....
Est OG 1.059,by the graph pointers,1.045 to 1.056
Color 24.4 SRM
Est Fg 1.014
Est ABV 5.9%
It says "measured OG" 1.046
So that's with everything added,including the irish moss & gypsum. What else you wanna know while I have the file open?

You're welcome. This is also great practice for me using Beersmith2,so thanks right back guys. At least I got to do something brew related on National Home Brewer's day with my stuff stuck in transit. I'll leave BS2 open for a bit so if you think of anymore questions,fire away.

I have no Irish moss or gypsum. I've read about them. Have not used them yet.

Ah. I worte everything down you told me from bs2, I'm sure I'm not gonn be spot on. But let you know how it goes. If I ever get out of bed. 11:45 a.m.

I'll save the file too for later reference. Just in case. An amber might be fun to play with as partial mash. Besides,helping you guys with that program helps me learn it better.

As an FYI - I repitched my brew with Lallemand Nottingham yeast to see if I could bring down the gravity levels. After 2 and a half days no krausen of any other activity. I racked the beer into a secondary and will bottle in the next couple of days.

Back