Too Soon to Move to All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurDeLis425

Reaction score
At this point, I have a few extract batches under my belt and have started to venture out and attempt brewing different styles of beers. There are recipes I want to make but the problem I am facing in my local home brew store really only has Light and Dark extract on hand, which makes brewing some recipes more difficult.

This is something that could be solved by moving to AG. But I am wondering if me doing that is just too much too soon. I have heard of people brewing extract for years before moving to AG brewing. Any thoughts? Was thinking of perhaps going with a BIAB vs. the cooler.

Thanks!

You could go AG, but BIAB may be easier to start with if you don't have the funding to go out and get the cooler and hardware. I'm going to start BIAB my next brew day.

All grain is not difficult. It requires more time and equipment. I started extract, tried a partial mash and bought a ten gallon pot, burner, false bottom and cooler.

The main thing that helped my jump to all grain was the purchase of brewing software that spat out a brew sheet with water volumes and temperature.

I have had one all grain batch that was bad. In retrospect I think I rushed the yeast and it had nothing to do with the mash.

You will likely find that you enjoy having the control over what is in your beer that all grain gives.

I did 2 batches of extract, then 1 of BIAB, and on to all-grain. It can be intimidating to migrate, but it's not difficult. Just do reading and research on it. All-grain brewing is a ton of fun.

All grain is not as complex or as hard as it can appear. I did 1 extract kit following the instructions and was so intrigued by the process that I got John Palmer's book How To Brew and studied it and built a 3 gallon all grain system for batch number 2. Since then I just kept going. Say that the tinkering never ends is very true. I have changed this part and swapped out that and improved this. All grain gives you full control. Doing BIAB (check out the sticky in the All Grain & Partial Mash Forum) is actually all grain uses less equipment but works just as well. I say Go for it!!!

It's never too early or too late to do AG. It's just a matter of feeling comfortable with the extra steps.

After a couple years of partial mashes, BIAB style, I bought the Basic Brewing: Stepping Into All Grain DVD. Watched it. Thought it was too complicated. Didn't feel comfortable trying it.

A couple years later, I watched it again and thought, "This isn't hard. It's like making bagels. None of the steps is that tough, there are just lots and lots of easy steps."

So I went for it.

AG is as easy as BIAB in 1 pot, if you want to make it simple, its no harder than brewing a extract, just adds 1/2hr to 1 hr of time, and yes it can be that simple.

Cheers :mug:

All grain, whether BIAB or using a mash tun is no more difficult than extract, there is just more to do and to pay attention to and it takes longer. I personally do not like BIAB because of the heavy, hot sticky bag of grain.

All grain gives you a lot more control of the final product. If you do not use kits I suggest using one of the recipe building software programs available. I use Beersmith2 and get great results.

I did two batches of extract brew before switching to all-grain. Just do your research, watch some youtube videos and you'll be fine.

It's not much more complicated than extract brewing.

Awesome! This is very reassuring. I really do appreciate the feedback. Think I will try it for my next batch.

I did one extract then a few biab then moved to a traditional all grain setup. It's not difficult just a little more to think about and plan.

Do your reading and research. I would also highly suggest getting brewsmith software, and go for it.

I switched to all grain after only one extra brew. I wanted to really dive in and extract didn't feel like brewing to me.

Been doing all grain ever since and loving it. Plus, besides the equipment cost, all-grain is cheaper.

I did two extract batches before going to BIAB/partial mash. I did two of those before moving to all grain.

All grain is not hard to do. The terminology can look tough, but it's basically this:

Step 1: pour hot water in your mash tun with your grains (mash tun can be a cooler, can be a big pot. Cooler is easier to keep temps steady, which is critical for all grain). Hold water at 148-158 degrees for an hour (lower temp is more alcohol/thinner body, higher temp is less alcohol/more body).

Step 2: Start draining into a smaller vessel (I use a gallon jug) until the liquid runs clear. Drain the rest into your boil kettle. Carefully pour that cloudy first bit back into the mash tun without disturbing the grain bed (this recycling process is called vorlaufing).

Step 3: Rinse your grains with more hot water. You may sprinkle water over them (fly sparge... may give slightly more efficiency) or dump it all in at once (batch sparge... easier and cheaper to do).

Step 4: repeat step 2 (vorlauf/drain).

Step 5: boil. All of your extract knowledge applies, except you don't have to worry about scorching/stirring in extract.

Never too soon to move to all grain. Only thing holding you back is your equipment. With enough will and help from these guys...you'll probably wish that you had made the jump earlier. I was bored with extract after my 2nd batch and was determined to make the jump right away. My 1st AG batch by far surpassed my expectations.

Don't look back!

I started with extract kits in August and was doing all grain by December. I did one mini-mash/partial mash and knew that I would have better tasting beer and could have a lot more control over how everything tasted by going to all grain. You can always transition slower than I did. BIAB is a pretty close batch to all grain and allows you to purchase the equipment slowly.

Mouse

Just go for it. BIAB if that fits your fancy or cooler/mash tun if you like DIY type stuff. All the equipment can be found reasonable if you search around and its really not difficult. I only did two partial mashes before going all grain, and my end product improved immediately!
Go forth and brew.

I started with 3 batches of extract and then moved to AG. I did my first AG yesterday. It takes longer and is more work, but is a million times more fun.

My first batch was all grain and it sucked so bad I almost did not do the second one. I remember on the second batch standing at the mash tun thinking if I dump the grain in I am going to have to finish it. I am glad I did finish it and enjoy brewing now.

Nothing wrong though with extract brewing. I have had some wonderful beers that others have brewed from extract.

All grain, whether BIAB or using a mash tun is no more difficult than extract, there is just more to do and to pay attention to and it takes longer. I personally do not like BIAB because of the heavy, hot sticky bag of grain.

All grain gives you a lot more control of the final product. If you do not use kits I suggest using one of the recipe building software programs available. I use Beersmith2 and get great results.

Hello, The wet heavy grain is the reason I use 3=5 gallon paint strainer bags when doing BIAB, just divide the grains up equally between the 3 bags, makes the grain so much easier to handle.

I did two extract batches before going to BIAB/partial mash. I did two of those before moving to all grain.

All grain is not hard to do. The terminology can look tough, but it's basically this:

Step 1: pour hot water in your mash tun with your grains (mash tun can be a cooler, can be a big pot. Cooler is easier to keep temps steady, which is critical for all grain). Hold water at 148-158 degrees for an hour (lower temp is more alcohol/thinner body, higher temp is less alcohol/more body).

Step 2: Start draining into a smaller vessel (I use a gallon jug) until the liquid runs clear. Drain the rest into your boil kettle. Carefully pour that cloudy first bit back into the mash tun without disturbing the grain bed (this recycling process is called vorlaufing).

Step 3: Rinse your grains with more hot water. You may sprinkle water over them (fly sparge... may give slightly more efficiency) or dump it all in at once (batch sparge... easier and cheaper to do).

Step 4: repeat step 2 (vorlauf/drain).

Step 5: boil. All of your extract knowledge applies, except you don't have to worry about scorching/stirring in extract.

Nice explanation homebrewdad.

Hello, The wet heavy grain is the reason I use 3=5 gallon paint strainer bags when doing BIAB, just divide the grains up equally between the 3 bags, makes the grain so much easier to handle.

I'll have to try that next time.

AG is just one more process and concept. Perfecting your beer and fine tuning your techniques is one thing and can take as long as one needs it to take; learning the individual steps and processes is another and AG is just one more step-- and it's a separate step that occurs entirely pre-boil. You can still finesse you techniques while AG-ing. You don't need to master the perfect extract before moving on to AG. And the concept of "moving on" isn't accurate anyway.

Never too soon! The sooner you switch, the sooner you will learn the process. I did 3 partial mash batches before converting. Everything you have learned thus far is transferable, there is just a lot more to learn at this point. I don't think you ever stop learning though...

My second batch ever was all grain and I have not looked back. First batch was a mr beer kit. I took the time to read a lot of threads and material, built my cooler mash run, and off I went.

I concur with all the above. AG is not that hard, after you get some gear, you can brew more styles with better results. The ingredients get cheaper, the hobby gets more complex and more fun IMHO.

p.s. I brewed 7 extract batches. Then on a Home Depot run saw a Rubbermaid cooler-bought it, and ordered a false bottom from Norther Brewer, bought 50lbs of grain for $27. I was all grain the next weekend. No one ever goes back to extract (well, no one I know;)

I concur with all the above. AG is not that hard, after you get some gear, you can brew more styles with better results. The ingredients get cheaper, the hobby gets more complex and more fun IMHO.

I concur with Tim's concurrence :cross:, with a warning! All Grain is a tinkerer's dream,SWMBO'S nightmare and can be a slippery slope for those of us with a big tinker muscle.:ban::ban:

Back