Recipe Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireraven0613

Reaction score
I wanted to do something similar to Honey Brown, but I can't brew a lager. Can't keep the brew cold enough and I don't have the time to create a swamp cooler. Anyways, I created a recipe more for a Honey Wheat instead. Mind you, this is the first time I'm taking a stab at it so don't laugh at a silly girl who's taking a stab in the dark :)

Est. OG: 1.050
Est. FG: 1.012
IBU: 19.22
SRM: 6.87

3lb Wheat DME
3lb Amber DME

1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 10L

1oz Goldings @ 60min
0.5oz Goldings @10min

1lb honey at flame out

Priming with honey as well.

Throughs? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hi FR and welcome to HBT! Your recipe looks good. I've been making an English ale with honey since last fall (we had a big group of non-brewing friends over for a brew day) Our recipe is here, fwiw https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/white-house-honey-ale-2nd-place-2013-chicago-cup-400185/

Two thoughts:

1) what yeast are you using?

2) I wasn't sure how to add the honey, but this has worked for me well (I've brewed this beer twice) - measure the honey out into a large mixing bowl and ladle in hot wort from the boil and stir like crazy until the honey melts and is liquidy, then pour back into the boil kettle and stir like crazy again.

Thanks for the reply! If I was confident enough and had the right equipment, I'd try your recipe. I might send it along to my brother in law who does all grain. I'll stick with extract brewing for now!

The yeast I have I washed from a citrus weizen that I just made. I can't remember which one it was though. I figured it was for a wheat beer, might as well use it!

For the honey, we get it local and it comes in glass jars. I was going to pop it in the microwave for a minute or two until it's nice and liquidy before stirring it in, but your idea would work well too!

Thanks for the reply! If I was confident enough and had the right equipment, I'd try your recipe. I might send it along to my brother in law who does all grain. I'll stick with extract brewing for now!

The yeast I have I washed from a citrus weizen that I just made. I can't remember which one it was though. I figured it was for a wheat beer, might as well use it!

For the honey, we get it local and it comes in glass jars. I was going to pop it in the microwave for a minute or two until it's nice and liquidy before stirring it in, but your idea would work well too!

I wasn't suggesting you try the recipe I used (which was from the White House chefs), just giving it to you as a reference to another honey ale recipe. The White House recipe the chefs shared was an extract recipe, by the way - you are brewing like the White House chefs!

The thing you need to worry about with the honey is to keep it from scorching on the bottom of your boil pot. Another idea is to take the pot off the heat when you add it, stir like crazy, then put it back on the heat (continuing to stir) until it comes back up to a boil.

Have fun with your brew day!

Honestly, all grain scares me lol!
Thanks for your help. It's appreciated. I was going to add the honey at the very end of the boil, after I turn the heat off. Now off to the store to get what I need :D

Back