Mead clarity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jean

Reaction score
Hi,
I bottled my first mead, aged for one year in a fermenter, but it is still cloudy. The taste is pretty good, there is very fominant honey aroma and a bit of taste but also it feels a bit young, it feels very alchoholic although it is 12 abv. Is it normal?

Here is the picture

image-174719220.jpg

Man...I would have to say no that's not normal. Did that stay in primary the whole time? Everything should have fallen out of it if it sat that long. I would have racked it again and added some bentonite or some other clarifying agent. It would have only added a few more days time but it would make its presentation much better. Of course people would argue against adding a clairifier but i think this would have been a perfect one to do so. Just my .02

:tank::mug:

It didn't stay in primary the whole time, i did primary for about 3-4 weeks, then secondary for two month and left it in a third one the whole time since then for about 8-9 month. May be I should have done more rackings? Also what do you think about the taste issue?...also forgot to mention that i added to secondary about 10% of the whole batch volume pomegranate juice.

Haze could be pectin related due to your addition of fruit.

Taste issue, Im assuming you mean that is tastes hot? What yeast did you use? What were your fermenting temps? What was your SNA schedule? You may be detecting fusel alcohols which are usually a byproduct of stressed yeast, most notably too high a fermenting temp.

Yes you are right i mean hot, the initial temperature was 16-17 C actually it was fermenting and aging in this temperature fir 4 month, the i put it in a room temperature which was mostly at winter between 15-20 C and only lately it was at 25-30 C. Before bottling I put it at 5 C for three days. So as fod my understanding was not suppose to be higher alchohols. I was using a champagne yeast uvaferm.

Back