DIY mash paddle question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So I bought a nice piece of oak to make myself a mash paddle. I got my design all drilled out, sanded the hell out of it and rinsed it off. After rinsing it swelled a little but also felt like I hadn't sanded it. So today I sanded it again and rinsed and again it felt like I hadn't sanded, although not as bad. This is my first attempt at this and I just wanted to make sure that it is normal and safe to use. I have NOT used any soaps or oils just regular water to rinse it.

THANKS!

Sanding and rinsing raises the grain of the wood by rehydrating the fibers. If you want to avoid the roughening you can sand it till you are satisfied and dip it in mineral oil(Food grade). Once it dries the wood will have a nice sheen and be much more resistant to swelling and roughness. You should be carefull what you use to clean the paddles with because some cleansers are acid based and will raise the grain. Raising the grain also allows the bacteria to have a place to colonize too, so be carefull. Back in the day Viking had a special beer stir stick and that was innoculated with bacteria that would start the brew fermenting. So I would carefully consider the idea of using that paddle for one specific type or recipe and getting a stainless spoon for general use when working with your ingredients on a regular basis. Just my thoughts, Your mileage may vary...

Wheelchair Bob

Back