Rye IPA critique/hop schedule help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
Hello all...doing a Rye IPA tomorrow and would like some input on my Grain bill as well as opinions on hop schedule based on the hops I have on hand. Any help is appreciated.

6 gal batch, single infusion.
Beersmith gave me an expected OG of 1.069 with the following grain bill:

7# 2-row
5# Maris Otter
2 # Flaked Rye
1/2 # Flaked barley
1/2 # Crystal 40

Hops on hand: Magnum and Millenium for bittering, and then:
2 oz chinook
2 oz cascade
1 centennial
1/2 simcoe

Looking for your opinion on the best hop schedule you can come up with to give me around 70 IBUS, as well as any grain bill comments. Thanks in advance.

Looks good. You've got 5.5 oz of hops, so I might do:

0.5 oz hops 15 mins
1 oz hops 10 mins
1 oz hops 5 mins
3 oz hops dry hopping

Have fun!

I think that's way too much for dry hopping. Put them in the boil so there is a little bitter too. Save an once of your most aromatic and dry hop with that. If you are going to use 3 Ozs for dry hopping just save 2 ounces for another beer

Ticebain said:
I think that's way too much for dry hopping. Put them in the boil so there is a little bitter too. Save an once of your most aromatic and dry hop with that. If you are going to use 3 Ozs for dry hopping just save 2 ounces for another beer

Not necessarily. 1 oz is definitely not enough for dry hopping in my opinion. I think 3 oz for dry hopping is just about right. I've even done 4 oz with great results. I used only 1 oz on the first IPA I ever brewed and it was severely lacking in the fresh hop aroma and flavor you would expect from an American IPA.

I would do a bittering charge of Magnum at 60 minutes to get your IBUs then use the other hops you listed at flameout-1.5 oz, a 20-30 minute hop stand at around 180 degrees-1.5 oz, and dry hops-2.5 oz. Which ones you use where depends on what kind of flavor and aroma your looking for.

Thanks. I should have noted that all those hops will be used in boil. I will be dry hopping with 2-3 additional ounces. Approaching boil right now, here is what I ended up doing.

1 oz chinook FWH.

60 min- .2 oz magnum, .2 millennium (used the last of what I had on hand as far as bittering hops go)

20 min- .5 cascade

15- .5 simcoe

10- 1 oz centennial

5- 1 oz chinook, .5 oz cascade

Flameout- 1 oz cascade

Plan on dry hopping with 1 ounce each of centennial, chinook, cascade. Cheers.

Thanks. I should have noted that all those hops will be used in boil. I will be dry hopping with 2-3 additional ounces. Approaching boil right now, here is what I ended up doing.

1 oz chinook FWH.

60 min- .2 oz magnum, .2 millennium (used the last of what I had on hand as far as bittering hops go)

20 min- .5 cascade

15- .5 simcoe

10- 1 oz centennial

5- 1 oz chinook, .5 oz cascade

Flameout- 1 oz cascade

Plan on dry hopping with 1 ounce each of centennial, chinook, cascade. Cheers.

Looks good - have fun!

Back