I like big PIDs and I cannot lie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodox

Reaction score
First I need to say thank to everyone who gave feedback when I asked for it. I've been thinking about this build for months and finally took the plunge a few weeks ago. This is the completed (maybe) build.

I went with the bigger form factor PID the 2352 from auberins because I enjoy large displays.

Anyway, here are some pics and a parts list (not complete, but the big components are there.)

Link to Parts List on Google

You'll see I used the idea from over in the electric brewing portion of the forum to cover my heating element. A rubber fitting with a PVC cap.

It will do ~1* per min temp change on 10 gallons of water. Not sure what that will yield on stepped mashes, but I'll find out shortly.

I also currently have to run everything with the box open. Pump will overheat otherwise.

TopView.jpg

TopBack.jpg

ElementCover.jpg

PumpMounting.jpg

ElectricalInOut.jpg

Oh, you don't really want to see that mess. Ok, ok, here are some pics. Electrical cable management is not my forte. In this case, it basically doesn't exist.

I've provided my wiring diagram so you can actually see how this functions.

Circuit.jpg

Overview.jpg

SSRPID.jpg

Switches and lights.jpg

PIDThermo.jpg

Any recommendations on 120v fans?

Just yank one out of an old computer, anything over 80mm would be good enough to exhaust heat from the pump. I just leave mine cracked open and it works well. Was thinking about just putting in a tiny fan myself and hook it up to the pump switch. I have an old noctua case fan I might put in and make it pretty damn silent!

Not sure what kind of computer comes with AC fans these days (well, in the last 30 years, actually). Even the ones in the power supplies aren't AC...

Cheers!

Not sure what kind of computer comes with AC fans these days (well, in the last 30 years, actually). Even the ones in the power supplies aren't AC...

Cheers!

Good think they make converters/transformers! You should have some sort of AC-DC transformer from an old appliance laying around somewhere!!! I used one from an old cordless phone for my stir plate! If not you can take a look at the electric breweries use of the old door bell transformer and small adjustable power supply. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=9

We were throwing away a broken tredmill (motor crapped out) an ended up finding a lot of these parts inside. It's what i'm using to build some of my new toys.

Back