GF Sour Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat34

Reaction score
Hey all,
So sorghum beers out of Africa are essentially sour mashed has anyone experimented with this? I think my best beer so far has been brewed with Brett, any thoughts on where to go next?
Sorry if I missed a thread that touches on this. after a couple

I don't think you missed a thread on gluten free sour beers. I have had African beer before. Shakparo I think. Wasn't that great. Tasted like green apples if I remember. I am going to brew a millet berliner weisse. Might be a good place to start. I also have a bourbon barrel in need of infecting. ;)

All of this will be later this summer. If you do a GF sour, make a thread on it. I would be very interested. I never had a "regular" sour before I went gluten free. Its bothering me to try one.

Yeah, I don't think it's been done yet. Or at least no one has posted it. It's on my list, but it keeps getting bumped. I'm either going to make one next or remake my last batch.

Osedax said:
I don't think you missed a thread on gluten free sour beers. I have had African beer before. Shakparo I think. Wasn't that great. Tasted like green apples if I remember. I am going to brew a millet berliner weisse. Might be a good place to start. I also have a bourbon barrel in need of infecting. ;)

All of this will be later this summer. If you do a GF sour, make a thread on it. I would be very interested. I never had a "regular" sour before I went gluten free. Its bothering me to try one.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for your millet Berliner weisse? I am interested in trying to make one of these.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for your millet Berliner weisse? I am interested in trying to make one of these.

Haven't formulated one yet. It will most likely be 50-60% millet and 40-50% quinoa. OG around 1.035. Mash hop something noble. Do a normal mash, drain the tun into a cooler, and add lacto starter. Sour for 2 days, boil for 10 min, and ferment with something clean.

Hopefully millet is crawling in lacto to make the starter. It should be. If not, I like yogurt.

My LHBS is getting white millet for me. I will probably wait for that. Can't wait to do brett beers later. :rockin:

BBBF what was the last batch?

Just a light ale. I popped some a couple lbs of popcorn in an air popper, tossed it into a croc pot w/ some enzymes and mashed it for a few hours. It seemed to cut down the sorghum twang.

Back