Pollen in the south ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
The pollen is starting to get thick. I brew out just about all the time. And I'm not sure about the pollen , the funny thing is I didn't even think about last year. But I'm curious if it would have thing in it. Obviously you wanna kept everything out of your wort but I'm worried about cooling it down outside where I normally cool down ????

I thought about this also when I brewed last Sunday and everything outside was covered in a thick layer of yellow powder. Even the lid I used on my brew kettle while cooling the wort had a fine layer of dust when I finished.

For a second I kind of had some concerns but then RDWHAHB'd. I figured whatever wild things were floating around out there could not compete with my sanitizer, oxygenated wort, and yeast starter.

What I was thinking haha. I have about 30 mind left in boil for brown ale that goes quick around here and if anything can compete with this yeast starter I have ready to pitch they can have it. Because guess why I'm RADWHAHB !!!!!
Cheers M8

A few days ago I put a couple of jars with wort out to collect wild yeast. At this point they have not started, though one has turned hazy since last night. My car is currently yellow( normally red) so I am not sure how much of an issue pollen can be.

I would be concerned about pollen right now if brewing outside. Down here in SC the stuff is THICK!! It may be sanitized if boiled but who wants extra material that isn't contributing to their beer? It's the main reason I will wait for outdoor brewing, starting in May sometime probably.

We have it bad here in the Pacific Northwest right now too. Alder an Hemlock trees are puking yellow and green powder. If it ain't raining, it's sprinkling pollen. My truck is covered with it right now. I have a brew day tomorrow... so hoping it's raining to keep the pollen subdued a bit. Then again, I've been brewing now for 2 years and have yet to have a problem because of pollen.

Gary

Allergies from the Oak pollen are killing me in New Orleans...beer is fine. Never had an issue.

Last time I brewed(in Florida), I was constantly trying the rake the pollen off the top of my wort. It's bad here and my sinuses are not happy. You know how they give you low doses of flu to prevent flu? Maybe drinking pollen will help my allergies? My last batch was definitely pollinated, even after the boil and trying to cool down, it collected fast. Just hoping for the best.

bobbilynn said:
last time i brewed(in florida), i was constantly trying the rake the pollen off the top of my wort. It's bad here and my sinuses are not happy. You know how they give you low doses of flu to prevent flu? Maybe drinking pollen will help my allergies? My last batch was definitely pollinated, even after the boil and trying to cool down, it collected fast. Just hoping for the best.

+1

What is our other option if the pollen is bad, for those of us who brew outdoors. Don't brew? I say brew anyway and hope for the best.

Back