Darn it! Canned Extract boiled for an hour.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingJim

Reaction score
I've just figured out I wasn't supposed to boil my Coopers IPA extract for an hour. It didn't give a time on the instructions :(
It's certainly turned out darker than I expected. Here's hoping I haven't affected the taste too much.

Lesson learned.

Don't stress color, especially with extract beers. As long as you didn't let the extract burn you won't notice anything except for the color. Ignore the color until you start doing all grain.

You're fine! You might have a slightly higher starting O.G. thank expected from the water boiled-off, and your extract being carmelized to be a bit darker.

I did the exact same thing with my first two batches that are now in the process of bottle conditioning. I've heard they might come out a bit more on the bitter side but the proof will be in the tasting.

Either way I can't wait to try these bad boys.

Thanks guys. I was hoping for a reassuring cuddle.

It was LME. I removed it from the burner and gave it a good stir whilst I added it and for a few minutes before reapplying the heat. I should be safe.

We're currently looking for a new, larger home. As soon as that is settled out it'll be straight on to AG. I can't wait.

I hate to be the berrer of bad tidings,but since you boiled it,any flavor & aroma additions that were in there will now be bittering additions. THAT'S why you aren't supposed to boil pre-hopped extracts,liquid or dry.

I hate to be the berrer of bad tidings,but since you boiled it,any flavor & aroma additions that were in there will now be bittering additions. THAT'S why you aren't supposed to boil pre-hopped extracts,liquid or dry.

How much damage do you think I've done? Is it worth continuing?

It's always worth continuing. If you are concerned, you can always dry-hop.

Yeah,it's worth soldgering on. The Cooper's IPA is the British style. Which is to say it's mostly bittering as a presevative for the long voyage to there troops in India. They find it hard to force down our very hoppy perversion of their original. Dry hopping is def an option,since our senses of taste & smell are linked at the roof of the mouth.

Back