Monster Mill MM3 vs. Flender Motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzusDK

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for parts to build a motorized Monster Mill MM3, and I have bought a used Flender Gear motor for this purpose.

But I have some problems solving how to connect this motor to the MM3.

I've searched the Internet for people who have done the same, and I can see that some people uses a Jaw Coupling between the motor and the MM3. But can such a coupling be used directly on the drive shaft of the mill ? And where do i find a drive shaft that fits into this kind of motor and the jaw coupling ?

I hope someone in here has the knowledge and some links I can use :)

I've added some pictures of the motor.

motor0.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor4.jpg

/Morten N

I believe the Monster Mill MM3 Has a 1/2 shaft. It looks like a 19.08 mm shaft is a 3/4" shaft. So you need a way to adapt from 1/2" to 3/4". You need a misalignment flex coupling and a piece of 3/4 keyed shaft.
Here's what I'd try... but double check key sizes of your gearbox and the shaft.

http://internationalhydraulicsus.com/shaft-coupling-set-l100-1-2-to-3-4.html

http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...1LNBSKy1WGMyBTGpy5qbpsM2!-399261850!423933937

Thank you very much.

I was very confused about the type of the shaft I should use, because I only looked at pictures of the keyed shaft, and couldn't figure out how it could fit into the motor.

But now I can see that I need to use a key together with the shaft :)

I will wait until i receive the motor, and figure out the size of the shaft and the key.

But thanks again :)

/Morten N

gzusDK said:
Yes, we have 3 phase electricity in our houses here in Denmark :)

/Morten N

I'd like to have 3 phase in my house. But, different systems... As long as you can make it work! Good luck with the project, I love my motorized CrankandStien 3D. It has really help improve my brewing.

Latest posts

Back