alregies???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpooky

Reaction score
Iv drank PLENTY of beer, but up until now Iv never had any type of reaction. For the past few years, Iv been drinking IPA's (hopsicutioner, bells 2 hearted and such). The past 2 beers that I have brewed, (the only 2 and both being extracts) Iv had some kind of reaction. It seems that my face gets flushed, my cheeks get red.... I can drink a 6er of IPA's and I have no ill effects, but both of my home brews have had an effect on me....... The first brew I did was bottled, and the second brew ( the one Im having ATM is kegged)
Any Ideas????????

Its probably not an IPA thing. Since your comparison was between commercial and homebrewed beer, maybe you are sensitive to the higher numbers of yeast in homebrew compared to filtered, commercial brews?

maltoftheearth said:
May be an odd question but are you Asian or have some Asian heritage?

May I ask about this question? Is there something about homebrew and Asians?

Its probably not an IPA thing. Since your comparison was between commercial and homebrewed beer, maybe you are sensitive to the higher numbers of yeast in homebrew compared to filtered, commercial brews?

interesting..... Iv seen a few vids on running the beer through a filter... recon this would take out the yeast load? Im just trying to figure this out..
I know it aint the beer, but its something in it:smack:

^^^that's pretty interesting, but its only happened with home brew..

It's possible that drinking unfiltered beer might give you a reaction, usually it's a yeast allergy, at least in high concentrations. That's all I can think of.

It's possible that drinking unfiltered beer might give you a reaction, usually it's a yeast allergy, at least in high concentrations. That's all I can think of.

thanks. I guess I need to look into making a filter or something and filtering before racking into a keg.

Geez.. If I got graded on grammar and spelling it would be around an F minus.

Jason, maybe the homebrew you are making is of higher ABV than you normally drink. Alcohol does make people flush sometimes.

Geez.. If I got graded on grammar and spelling it would be around an F minus.

Jason, maybe the homebrew you are making is of higher ABV than you normally drink. Alcohol does make people flush sometimes.

thanks, that might be the case. I think that my current keg is 9%. I might make my next batch a smaller beer and see if that's the case. If it still has the same effects on me I might then look into cold crashing or something like that as chumpsteak suggested.
thanks again for all of the useful replies
Jason

Fusel alcohol? Are your home brews fermented warm? I've hear hear will cause headaches and flushing. If you are letting the ferments rise on their own, controlling temps (mid 60's for cal ale/US-05) might help

Fusel alcohol? Are your home brews fermented warm? I've hear hear will cause headaches and flushing. If you are letting the ferments rise on their own, controlling temps (mid 60's for cal ale/US-05) might help

thanks for the reply. The yeast I used was WPL001, and the ferment temp (in the room that I ferment in) was 68-70*f. Now that you mention it, I did have a mild headache as well, but I thought that was irrelevant.
. Will the fusals dissipate in time?
thanks
Jason

Hmm, well, if you are monitoring temp of the room, that means your ferment can be 5-10F hotter that ambient (73-78F). You might be simply too warm, and hot fermentations are thought to cause fusel alcohol production. I don't think it will dissipate with time - at least from what I've read. Perhaps someone else has experience with this.

God luck

Latest posts

Back