Any dry yeasts capable of handling 3gal of 1.100 OG wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tupperwolf

Reaction score
My LHBS just opened recently and only has dry yeasts on the shelves for the moment. I also only have a 5 gallon mash tun, so I was thinking of brewing a smaller batch of imperial stout that I can tuck away in the back of the closet and forget about for a few months. The dry yeast selection is pretty good, but I'm having trouble finding info on the max OG that any of them can handle. The LHBS has the full range of Danstar, Safale, and I think even Coopers and Muntons yeasts. Cheers :tank:

Thanks guys for your advice. I ended up picking up two packs of BRY-97. Feeling good about this recipe, a minor adaptation to a Yeti clone recipe I found. First time brewing a big beer!

Update. My OG was 1.095 plus or minus a couple of points - my hydrometer is a bit off - and the gravity is currently 1.027(ish). Unfortunately while I was away from home for 24 hours my fermentation chamber cooled the wort down to 59* ish a few days into the ferment. Fearing that I'd put the yeast to sleep I let it warm up and have been giving the carboy a swirl twice a day to help keep some yeast in suspension. This is my first time brewing a big beer but I was hoping to get FG down around 1.022 or less. I'll take another reading in a few days - it's sitting at 71F now - and see what's up.

I would expect that at 59ish your fermentation slowed and maybe stopped. When warmed up it will resume. I don't think you have anything to worry about but you need to be looking at a longer time for proper fermentation. Let 'er go but get the temperature back down a few degrees. I like low to mid sixties for most brews.

Agreed and thanks for the feedback. It was sitting solid at 64*F for 6 days before the temperature dipped (never had that happen before, my chest freezer and temp controller are really old but have always worked well). I have had success with all my beers leaving them in low-mid 60s for a week and then letting them clean up for a week or two at 70-72. I think it was pretty much done before the temp dipped. The hydrometer sample tastes good, a bit sweet but I think proper carbonation would balance it out. I'm just going to let it ride - no rush on this one.

Latest posts

Back