Dogfish Head Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearpawbrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good clone of Dogfish Head's Namaste? My wife loves it and I'd be thrilled to get a good recipe that comes close.

Thanks,

Jim

I had a go at cloning thisa few days ago. I was not able to get lemongrass so i went with lemon rind instead.

This is the recipe i came up with:
6.6 lb of CBW LME Wheat
1.0 LB of Xtra light DME
1oz US Hallerteau Hops @ 60 min
.5 oz Us Hallerteau Hops @ 5 min
.5 oz dried sweet orange rind
.5 oz dried lemon rind
.5 oz crushed coriander
Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast.

I made a tea of the Orange Rind, Lemon Rind and Coriander. They were steeped in hot water and then added at 5 min in the boil. In retrospect i would probably have made the initial hop addition at somewhere around 45 minutes to avoid getting the full bitterness out of the alpha acids. It is happily fermenting in my basement right now. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Here's the extract that I tried

6.6 lbs LME
60 mins .75 Tettnanger

Flameout
.25 Saaz
1oz crushed Corriander
1 oz fresh Orange rind
.75 oz Orange Juice
1oz Lemon Grass ( couldn't find fresh so I used 1oz of Lemon Grass paste)

WLP400

Fermented for 2 weeks in primary racked to secondary for another 2 weeks and racked to a keg for carbonation.

Tested after 1 week in the keg and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't Namiste. Left it for 3 more weeks and that did it

I would say that it was 95% spot on. It was a little more hoppy and the Lemon Grass wasn't noticeable. Going to try this again with real lemon grass, drop the fresh orange juice to .25 and leave the rest alone.

My OG was 1.048 and it finished at 1.010

Calculated the ABV at 4.8 and the IBU's at 18

Based on Sam C's Witbier recipe in his book

Back