hop profile specifics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
So im aware of different hop profiles, but using words to describe something and tasting it are often two different things as people's palates differ.

For example ive had a bells two hearted and hopslam back to back, and the two hearted has a much bigger "bite" to it. Is it just that early editions are bigger on the two hearted with the hopslam having more late editions? Or is the "bite" coming from the specific hops used ( iirc two hearted is almost all centennial if not all).

Really just trying to further develop my palate and understanding of the tastes im experiencing.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, there are much smarter people here who may tell you differently.

Typically the traditional Alpha Acid level will tell you how much bittering power a hop has. However not all bitterness is created the same, a hop with high Cohumulone levels tends to give a harsher bitterness than one with lower Cohumulone levels.

Additionally some hops have a harsh taste to them even in late additions. Chinook is going to give you a much harsher flavor than a beer bittered and flavored the same way with a less aggressive hop. (Think Stone Arrogant Bastard. All Chinook)

Finally how you use hops matter. Boiling longer gives a Bitter kick moreso than late additions even with the same levels of IBU's. A beer with more late additions with have a smoother bitterness overall. Additionally a First wort hop is a way to add IBU's while not getting the harsh kick of a full boil addition.

Again this is just my understanding of the general knowledge of home brewers. I am not a hop expert, I do not play one on tv, and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn Express last night.

Ok, so even hops with similar alpha acids levels may attribute different types of bitterness? Ei smoother or more harsh though ibus may be the same?
Is this what youre saying?

ronjonacron said:
Ok, so even hops with similar alpha acids levels may attribute different types of bitterness? Ei smoother or more harsh though ibus may be the same?
Is this what youre saying?

Yep

Latest posts

Back