Silly yeast harvesting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanMk1

Reaction score
I was given a sachet of Mangrove Jacks dry yeast today along with a booklet covering their new range of yeast.

While it seldom makes sense to harvest from a dry yeast brew I do from time to time forget to buy yeast and then that bottle of harvested notty is most useful.

I am however puzzled by the portion of the booklet that says:
"As a result of the drying process MJ's dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew."

I suspect that it's just to force us to buy fresh yeast for every brew.

I can't think of anything there is in the process that would have an adverse affect harvesting/washing and repitching.

it probably has an element of truth to it but also, in the interest of making money, they make more every time a new one is bought.

I'm in the process now of splitting one us-05 satchel up into 4 and creating small slurries to use in different brews. yes they're cheap to buy, but I'd rather practice the process on inexpensive yeasts before delving into the liquid stuff. I say go for it.

I have a few gallon experiments I want to do in the near future. I think i will use this sachet on the bitter I want to brew this weekend and then harvest the yeast for some of those small batches.

I will feedback once it's done.

Edited the thread title for you. As for the dry yeast harvesting, I've never heard of that. Perhaps a quick note to their customer service to ask why would provide an answer.

Also, I've never heard if this yeast producer - are they reputable?

Thank you for the edit.

Mangrove Jacks do a lot of pre hopped LME's and kit n kilo type stuff. I get the impression after looking at their new range today that they are upping their game hugely. One of the recipe kit's I looked at went so far as to mention hop types used and what they contributed to the flavour. The yeast I suspect is a rebranded yeast from a reputable supplier.

As to how it works, well too soon to say how good or bad it is. The pack i have is a sample pack asking for feedback. I will be using it in a partial mash ESB later today. I expect to ba able to give some answers in a few weeks time as to how good or uninspiring it turns out to be.

Edited the thread title for you. As for the dry yeast harvesting, I've never heard of that. Perhaps a quick note to their customer service to ask why would provide an answer.

Also, I've never heard if this yeast producer - are they reputable?

If they are blending different yeasts, that would certainly explain the warning.

But even blended yeasts can be reused; at least among brewing strains, you don't tend to get one strain predominating over the other. I maintain a few mixes in our yeast bank, and they appear (based on my purely subjective tasting) to have maintained the profile you'd expect of the original mix.

My guess is the money angle...

Bryan

Back