Need urgent help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Am in the middle of a brew and stupidly thought I could measure the brewing sugar instead of weighing it (I dont have any scales), donno why I thought 1ml would = to 1g but it was way off, am googling now and the weight seems to change drastically depending on what you a measuring. For example regular sugar is around 200g in a cup,but flour is around 120g per cup! So what about brewing sugar?? Any suggestions? Reason its urgent is my kits are already open so need to get it worked out fast :(

Put your measuring utensil on a bathroom scale, note how much it weighs and then add sugar until you reach one pound more. Go from there.

Ok have worked out 450g of dextrose (what I need to add) is around 630ml in my measuring jug. Does that sound about right? Actually I measured out around 500ml so far, but looks way less than half a packet... Hope 630 is right :/

I *think* oz usually mean weight and there are always 28.33 grams to an ounce. Cup, Tbs, and mL, all mean volume. By plugging numbers into priming sugar calculator I'm getting that corn sugar is 200.2 grams per cup whereas table sugar is 206.3 grams per cup.

(I got those by using http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ and plugging random values in and dividing the grams amount by the cup amount. I'll try to google a more definitive answer but in the meantime...)

(1 milliliter equals a gram of water ... right? Convoluted reasoning here..... An ounce volume of water equals on ounce weight. And there are eight ounces to a cup. But an there are only 7.064 ounce volume of corn sugar in a cup. So corn sugar weigh 7.064/8 = .88 times as heavy as water so 1 mL of corn sugar weighs .88 gram. )

====

Or you could read a post by someone who's smarter than me.

I *think* oz usually mean weight and there are always 28.33 grams to an ounce. Cup, Tbs, and mL, all mean volume. By plugging numbers into priming sugar calculator I'm getting that corn sugar is 200.2 grams per cup whereas table sugar is 206.3 grams per cup.

(I got those by using http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ and plugging random values in and dividing the grams amount by the cup amount. I'll try to google a more definitive answer but in the meantime...)

(1 milliliter equals a gram of water ... right? Convoluted reasoning here..... An ounce volume of water equals on ounce weight. And there are eight ounces to a cup. But an there are only 7.064 ounce volume of corn sugar in a cup. So corn sugar weigh 7.064/8 = .88 times as heavy as water so 1 mL of corn sugar weighs .88 gram. )

====

Or you could read a post by someone who's smarter than me.

Crap, that comes out at 520ml for my 450gr. Totally different from my 630ml calculation

Okay, deep breath.... Priming calulater says: 15 gallons at 60 degrees and 2.9 volume

Dextrose: 451.08 grams = 15.91 oz. = 2.26 cups. which is 534.7 mL.

But let's double check by looking up the weight of dextrose on wikipedia... hold on a minute.

... can't find it...
++++++
Use this priming calculator and this conversion calculator (which oddly doesn't have cups but 2 cups = 1 pint so ...) and stop listening to bozos like me on the internet.

Thx everyone. I ended up going with 600ml so might be a bit higher % than originally planned but oh well, all the merrier I'll be when I drink it :)

Back