50 Amp Power Cord for Control Panel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotprice

Reaction score
I am in the process of piecing together all the components to upgrade my brewing to electric, and have noticed that the cost of power cords for the control panel are pretty expensive (both to purchase, and make). I was wondering if either of the following cords would work for a control panel like a Kal Clone

Power Cord 1

Power Cord 2

If these wont work could you explain why? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they will work for a 50a Kal clone, which would allow you to run two 240v, 5500w elements at the same time. If you will only be running one and building a 30a Kal clone, they are overkill, as you only need a 30a rating. This one should work. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HS2LBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. Note that while it says 12 gauge wire in the initial description, it says 10 gauge in the full description below. I suspect that it must be 10 gauge to be UL listed at 30a, as that is what is needed.

The second one has a CS6364 female generator plug that would require a CS6365 inlet in the control panel. http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/catalog/1041.asp People generally use the NEMA connections like the cord above.

You are welcome. The ground wire can be smaller because it should only carry current for a short time during a ground fault. In that case, your GFCI should trip or an overcurrent situation should trip the breaker.

I am in the process of piecing together all the components to upgrade my brewing to electric, and have noticed that the cost of power cords for the control panel are pretty expensive (both to purchase, and make). I was wondering if either of the following cords would work for a control panel like a Kal Clone

Power Cord 1

Power Cord 2

If these wont work could you explain why? Thanks.

Do an Amazon search for "Coleman Cable 09046 6-Feet 50-Amp 4-Wire Range Power Cord" instead. $22.41 for a 6-foot cord.

I've got one a lot like that. I haven't decided whether to put a female connector on it or just use a cable gland.

Latest posts

Back