How many of us roast our own grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you roast your own grains

• Yes!

• No :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
That link is a great inspiration. I'd say the freshness and control of the toast/roast makes it extra special.

As usual, the lower, more delicate crystal malts are the hardest to do yourself. Any error or overshoot is easily detectable.

I have been roasting malt ever since I toasted some for Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale. I've made Golden and Amber malt and some crystal malts so far. I've tried to make carapils a few times but each time they came out around crystal 10-15.

I don't roast grain, malt grain or grow hops.

For me that's the point where it stops being fun and becomes work.

I have done it a few times, but only when I didn't have a grain I was supposed to have for a recipe. I could never get much consistency but I enjoyed doing it.

I really like the biscuit smell you get from roasting two row, such a nice aroma. My grain bills are really simple now so i use very few special malts

Thanks for sharing that! I've already been toasting my own malts per some of Papazian's recipes, but this will be fun. Something to keep me out of trouble in between brew days!

I don't roast grain, malt grain or grow hops.

For me that's the point where it stops being fun and becomes work.

It is really not much work, I do it while I brew. throw the grains in some water. By the time I am ready to boil the wort it is time to put the grains in the oven. One or two hours later I take out the grains. It is really easy.

Chocolate roast and Black Patent are a lot of work, but still worth it.

This is definitely something I want to try in the near future. My thought process, correct me if I'm wrong, is that I can buy domestic 2-row cheap and roast it to make my specialty grains. My LHBS sells 50 pound sacks of Rahr for $35 and if I can roast this, all the better. I'm constantly trying to reduce costs.

I have been using home roasted Malta for the last 10 or so batches and have been very happy with the results.... In my opinion it is worth the small effort it takes

Sounds interesting. Would a coffee roaster work or is it too hot? I suppose one could try it for the cost of 1lb of 2 row it wouldn't break your bank and its not like the final product couldn't be used unless burnt.

That is slick!!! Now I can just buy a sack of two row or Marris and roast some to darken up the brew and add the roasty taste without owning shares in the LHBS I think the effort will definately be worth it considering the prices of specialty grains and delivery times. I will add it to my brewing capabilities list, along with growing hops. Tried last season to start some rhizomes and they failed. So I will have to try that again later.

Wheelchair Bob

Sounds interesting. Would a coffee roaster work or is it too hot? I suppose one could try it for the cost of 1lb of 2 row it wouldn't break your bank and its not like the final product couldn't be used unless burnt.

I really wanted to try this, my Parents have one, but they live far away. Next time I visit I will have a half pound of 2-row with me to test ;)

Please post you results if you do try it!

This is definitely something I want to try in the near future. My thought process, correct me if I'm wrong, is that I can buy domestic 2-row cheap and roast it to make my specialty grains. My LHBS sells 50 pound sacks of Rahr for $35 and if I can roast this, all the better. I'm constantly trying to reduce costs.

I have been buy bulk grains for a year now, Canadian 2-row is $29 for 50#. So much easier having it ready when you need it. Last summer I kept driving 30 minutes each way just to buy 1-2# of chocolate or 60L. Glad that is a thing of the past.

Does roasting your own malts destroy any of the starches in the grains? Do you lose some sugar potential?

Does roasting your own malts destroy any of the starches in the grains? Do you lose some sugar potential?

I haven't noticed any losses in efficiency using my home roasted malt. I'm sure the longer you roast say for Brown or chocolate malt you well have a reduction in the grains potential probably 1.033-1.024 instead of a possible 2-Row yield of 1.036-1.038

Home roastings pretty fun, I make quite a bit of the grain in the 30-60 range like barleypopmakers amber and deep amber.

Yes, some of the sugars are destroyed with a darker roast. The roasted grains are for color and flavor. Somewhere in the links I provided in post one talks about that. However, with the crystal you are essentially re-malting the grains and getting more sugar.

It is amazing to taste the difference of regular malt, amber, chocolate and crystal. i throw 1-2 grains in my mouth and I can now visualize what the malt will do to the beer. plus it is handy for when you find a bag of malt in the fridge and you forgot to label it :eek:

Back