Carbonation/Keggin question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
I read through much of the stickies in the bottling/kegging section but I am still a bit lost on "burst" carbing.

I made the move from extract/bottling to all grain/kegging in one fell swoop with my last batch. Everything went great (except that I had some stuck sparge issues that led to me having only around 4.5 gallons total beer going into the keg) and I put everything in the keg after about 4 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary to dry hop.

Now what I did was up the pressure to 30 psi last night when I kegged. Tonight when I get home, I will drop it down to 10 psi, which has been the perfect serving pressure for all my commercial kegs that I've used in the kegerator previously.

I haven't seen this in any of the stickies is my question. When I drop the pressure to 10 psi, should I bleed the pressure on the sanke coupler or just drop it and let it equilibrate? Thanks!

When I drop the pressure to 10 psi, should I bleed the tank or just drop it and let it equilibrate? Thanks!

I relieve the extra pressure when I drop the psi.

30psi for one day, even at 38*F won't carb fully. At 38*F, try 30psi 24 hrs, 20psi 48 hrs, and then drop to 10psi and see how you're doing.

Unless I'm in a real rush, I usually just let it sit cold at serving pressure for a couple weeks so it carbs and conditions at the same time.

I relieve the extra pressure when I drop the psi.

30psi for one day, even at 38*F won't carb fully. At 38*F, try 30psi 24 hrs, 20psi 48 hrs, and then drop to 10psi and see how you're doing.

Unless I'm in a real rush, I usually just let it sit cold at serving pressure for a couple weeks so it carbs and conditions at the same time.

Yeah, I think after this one I will just let it carb up over a few weeks, it's just that this beer was in primary for a long time and then dry hopped for a week so I feel it's probably conditioned pretty well. Plus, it will be easier now that I have a pipeline of sorts going to wait.

I have another question, I only have one coupler and beer line. I had a commercial half barrel keg connected and I disconnected that keg that I had been serving out of. Will that keg be okay sitting around un-tapped with no CO2 going into it?

I have another question, I only have one coupler and beer line. I had a commercial half barrel keg connected and I disconnected that keg that I had been serving out of. Will that keg be okay sitting around un-tapped with no CO2 going into it?

Sure, so long as it has been well-purged with CO2 so that there's little to no air hanging around in there to oxidize the brew.

Sure, so long as it has been well-purged with CO2 so that there's little to no air hanging around in there to oxidize the brew.

Great, yeah, we'd been serving out of it for some time so it's likely half full and it was flowing great. I figured it would be fine, I just wanted to make sure.

Back