Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have mash tun questions. I've read a few threads, where people have talked about them. But not in detail. What exactly is a mash tun?. Why a igloo "water" cooler?, what seperates the grains from wort? Why a mash tun? My pipeline is far from purchasaing one. Due to, not quit the pipeline I want & finances. But, just curious. info for the future, I guess.

Ok i will try to explain it as simple as i can ...a mash tun is a vessel where at a regulated temperatures youll remove the sugars out of the grain to then transfer that sugary water (wort) to your kettle and bring to a boil and hop addition .

It doesn't have to be an igloo cooler but its so easily available that most use it

As for separation from grains and wort..either a braided tube or false bottom is used to separate one from the other once you've reached your efficiency

A mash tun is a pot you soak grains in at a specific temp to get all the sugar and enzymes working so you can boil it and make beer. If you have been doing extracts then some one has already done the mash part of the process for you already. You can build a mash tun pretty cheaply and get a grain grinder for about 30 bucks and be into all grain pretty quick and easy. Once you go to all grain you probably will never want to do an extract again. The worst all grain is way better than your best extract and you can make your brew exactly what you want it to be. Hoppy, Malty, yeasty, it's entirely up to you and your taste and how involved you want to be. Look for a used 10 gallon igloo water keg cooler and a stick of CPVC and some other fittings and your almost there. a bilkhead fitting is all you need beyond that and get the brew store to grind your grain and your makin all grain. There is a ton of literature available that will show you the exact procedure to follow to make it easy and painless too. Good luck and have some fun while your learning.

Wheelchair Bob

Thanks big cat & rbeckett. I did one extract brew. Thought it to be to easy. Couldn't do much with it. I've been doing AG since. Been problematic. But love figuring out what I'm doing wrong. Getting on HBT to read threads, ask questions. Think, I'll slowly look for such parts as time goes on. Or just get lazy and rich enough. Buy one. The future is bright with me small brewery. Slowly getting my stout, zeroed in. getting better with knowledge.

Thanks big cat & rbeckett. I did one extract brew. Thought it to be to easy. Couldn't do much with it. I've been doing AG since. Been problematic. But love figuring out what I'm doing wrong. Getting on HBT to read threads, ask questions. Think, I'll slowly look for such parts as time goes on. Or just get lazy and rich enough. Buy one. The future is bright with me small brewery. Slowly getting my stout, zeroed in. getting better with knowledge.

Check out www.dennybrew.com

Thanks Denny. I bookmarked into me phone. A lot on there. Man. Bring it though. I love this beer "thing" I'm going through. Learning a lot just from talking with everyone here. Reading threads. Asking questions. Reopening me thinkin' brain.

Back