Mouldy Wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis2a

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Last Sunday I brewed an Irish Red Ale. I got as far as putting it in the carboy with an air lock. I was called away due to a personal emergency. Didn't get home till yesterday. I was going to add the yeast today, but when I checked the carboy there were about a dozen chunks of white and green mould sitting on top of the wort. Can this be saved or do I have to toss it. To say I am a little pissed is an understatement.
Cheers

20130511_195842.jpg

Looks like protein/yeast rafts to me from the pic.

Edit: Missed that you hadn't pitched yet. Are you sure it's not hot break protein? Is it fuzzy?

I'd rack it into your brewing kettle from under the mold, bring it to a boil for a couple minutes, cool, clean & refill carboy, then pitch.

I agree with the others, with one important point - Taste and smell first. If it's already "yuck" then a boil and pitch is no good. If it's clean, sweet, and worty, then boil and pitch.

Thanks for your recomendations ladies and gentlemen. I tasted it and smelled it and couldn't detect any off taste or smell. I racked and boiled for about 15min. Cooled and racked to fermenter. Pitched yeast and all good so far. Didn't lose any gravity points at all. Will give it another taste in 3-4 weeks and let you know how it is. Even if it is off a bit I'll probably drink it anyway. Hell I'll drink just about anything but Corona.:)
Cheers

Back