Quick aeration question before my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAN99

Reaction score
Hey all I'm about to brew my first batch and had a question about aerating the wort. When pouring it back and forth from the fermenter and brew pot, my fermenter will be sanitized obviously, but I am using a 9 gallon stainless pot, I realize the walls of the pot where the boil takes place will be sanitized from the boiling water, but what about the walls of the pot not in contact with water? Will the heat still have been enough to sanitize the walls as well? I just don't want to contaminate the batch while pouring down the brew kettle walls...Thanks!

I would spray it with some sanitized water. $.99 at home depot for a spray bottle. If you don't like that idea, you could siphon into your fermenter.

Ok, I'm using starsan, so from what i've read I wouldn't have to rinse that out after spraying it, just empty the excess and it wont effect the wort correct?

Don't sweat it. I've dumped a hundred batches straight from the boil kettle into the bucket and never thought twice about it. If your fermenting bucket is sanitized and you're pitching healthy yeast at a good temperature, you have nothing to worry about.

MAN99 said:
Ok, I'm using starsan, so from what i've read I wouldn't have to rinse that out after spraying it, just empty the excess and it wont effect the wort correct?

You got it. It's a no rinse sanitizer and actually turns into a nutrient for your yeast.

IMO spraying starsan inside the brewpot would just be a waste of time. The steam will keep it sanitized. - Unless you are brewing in a nasty place and stuff gets in while the wort is cooling.

I always poured it without doing anything until I got my present pot with a valve. Never an infection. Drat :( I just jinxed myself!

Thanks guys, just finished my brew, all went well, pretty excited and hoping it turns out good!

Back